trim/tilt will not lower

I own a 1996 1700 bayliner with an 120 hp force outboard that picked this last weekend for the trim/tilt unit to not operate in the downward direction. It will work in the upward direction after a slight delay.

oogaboga

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: trim/tilt will not lower

first I,d check the fluid level in the down pos. fill to bottem of fill hole.if you have a side fill hole

kannuki

Seaman

wow just went out to mess with my boat and my trim wont lower either

Jack7114

Cadet

I have a 95 force 90 hp and according to the sticker on the unit you must fill the unit with hydraulic oil in the up position. Also their is a latch on the left side that will lock the motor in the up position. The bad news if neither of those works then your power trim motor has probably failed. The good news is if it's not burnt up to bad it can be rebuilt.<br /><br />I hope i helped..

91formula

Seaman

Jeff,<br /><br />Try switching your relays around and see if it will work in the downward position, if so you need to buy a new relay, NAPA, like 12 dollars, I would check fluid then try this,

Thank you all for your comments and information. I checked the fluid first(in the raise position) the level was good. I guess I will do a check of the relay next.

kannuki

Seaman

what did you find out on your tilt? i cannot get mine to lower either? fluid good relays good on mine.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

Not neccessaily a relay. Mine would not raise, but would lower, I raised mine when I wanted it up by going under the cover, and unpluging the green, and blue wires that controll the trim, and swtching them blue to green, and green to blue (as with DC currant all you do to reverse the motor, is switch the polarity), then when I pushed the down button, it instead went up, then switched the wires (plug-ins) back to get it down. I now have a spare relay, as I purchased a new one, and found out that is not the problem, the problem is in the switch, which is one bugger to get into, so I guess I will wait till this winter to tear into the switch in the control handle, switching wires in the meantime to raise the motor if I want it up. I have also considered cutting the wires before they get to the controll handle, and wireing in a new two way switch on the dash board to reverse polarity, and work the trim/tilt. :D :D :D

rw2851@aol.com

Recruit

Had same problem thiss week. After checking everything possible. I replaced the relay I thought was faulty. Didn't work - replaced the other relay and now works fine. Mine would raise and not lower. I thought the relay that clicked when I tried to lower was the one a fault. However, replacing the supposed good relay cured it. I would suggest replacing both relays. Auto zone, Advanced auto or NAPA will have. Hope this helps.