89' force 125 running on 2 cylinders

dogboy8

Seaman Apprentice
History: Overheated, blew head gasket. new water pump, changed head gasket Compression 1-4 140,141,140,130. Was not running on #s 3&4 Took it to the shop, and they said it was a CD module. $440. later they tell me I also have carb problems. I take the boat, clean the carbs still the same basic problem. #s 3 & 4 plugs are wet (very) # 3 looks a little dirty may be some combustion #4 clean as a pin. Where o' Where do I go from here. I don't have unlimited funds to keep taking this thing to the shop, so they can replace everything one piece at a time. Thanks a million. Greg

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 89' force 125 running on 2 cylinders

gjv23, I agree, too many tradesmen and car, boat, etc. mechanics learn some of their trade at your expense by process of elimination, with a little luck they will eventually replace the right part and hopefully learn something. Given the compression readings the engine is is pretty decent shape, So, at this point it could be <br />either ignition or fuel, here's my thoughts, save your money, first check all electrical connections and connectors for the ignition circuit for loose connections or corrosion. Since cylinders 1&2 work from the same CD unit and are working, and since cylinders 3&4 work from the other CD unit I would check the ignition first. I realize the carbs are the same but you gotta start somewhere. You could swap the CD units and see if the 2 dead cylinders problem follows the CD units. If it doesn't then swap the carbs and see what happens. It's always cheaper to swap then buy parts. If this doesn't solve the problem maybe buy a shop manual and a digital multi-meter, also called a Volt Ohm Meter (VOM), and follow the shop manuals step by step troubleshooting repair directions for the ignition system and fuel systems, with the manual and some logic you'll not only find the problem but you'll learn at the same time. Sure beats paying someone to replace parts at your expense. Good luck.

dogboy8

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure I have good fire now that they have replaced the CD module for 3&4 (plus I can see a spark). I had not thought about swapping the carbs, so I'll give it a shot. Is there anything else I could have fried when I overheated this thing??? It was running fairly well before that. Thanks again, Greg

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

gjv23, you're welcome, and it's my pleasure. I'm not an outboard mechanic by any means, so I solve my problems with my lifes worth of auto repair experience, electronics knowledge, pure logic, a touch of luck, and help from this forum, I read every post that sounds even remotely interesting. After the overheating how much of the engine did you rebuild, there's always a possibility one of the seals on the crankshaft that separate the crankcase pressure between cylinders is fried and leaking or a reed valve is glued shut from oil during the overheating.<br />There must be way to check these without opening the engine but I just don't know how, sorry. It's easy to swap the carbs, give it a try and see what happens, and let the forum know.

dogboy8

Seaman Apprentice

Well, Still no luck Does anyone out there know what I should check next on this thing????????? Got fire , got gas (swapped carbs) but not running on bottom 2 cyl. Exhaust port plate/gasket?? Reeds??? Thanks a million Greg