78 Gamefisher 7.5 taken out of storage. Procedures?

vfrf2

Cadet
I just acquired a 78(?) Sears Gamefisher 7.5 HP outboard from someone who said it was professionally winterized about 5 years ago and has not been started since. They said it was running great when stored. Can anyone recommend anyhing I should do before cranking this thing up? Since I don't have a manual for it yet, I'd like to get input on this. Also, the label on the motor says to use 3 ozs of BIA approved oil with one gallon of gas to achieve 50:1 ratio. Are there any differences in the old BIA type oil vs. the newer TCW-3 stuff? Should the mixtures just remain the same? If it will help, the model number is 217.585840. One more thing, would anyone happen to know if this is an ESKA manufactured engine or possibly another?<br /><br />Thanks in advance!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 78 Gamefisher 7.5 taken out of storage. Procedures?

Check this out... http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/ob_sears.html <br /><br />If that motor has a place to connect a remoote fuel tank, the carb has a diaphragm that likes to rip. Doesn't matter if it dries out or swells from gas additives, they like to rip when they get old. It's a Tecumseh powerhead on an Eska lower end. You can get a carb kit (quite common, 5Hp 4-stroke Tillotson kit) anyplace that sells lawnmower parts. When I was workiing on lawnmowers, I always wondered what that orange/red pointy skinny thing was for. When I worked on a Gamefisher, I found out. The kits fix quite a few different carbs, so you'll have a few extra parts.<br /><br />If it says 50:1, then okay. But I like 32:1 much better myself. Here's the weird thing. Use chainsaw oil. It's an air cooled motor. Outboard oils are made for water cooled motors. Air cooled run much hotter.<br /><br />Don't start it without the lower unit in a bucket of water or something. There is a water pump in there that will burn up without water to pump. It only cools the exhaust, but the motor runs better with it functioning.

vfrf2

Cadet

Thanks for the information! It will help alot!

vfrf2

Cadet

Thanks for the information! It will help alot!

ed/il

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The one I had was water cooled. Do not know the year. It ran great started on first or second pull.

vfrf2

Cadet

I managed to pick up an official Sears manual that covers my motor today on ebay, they are not easy to find. It should help alot.

vfrf2

Cadet

I managed to pick up an official Sears manual that covers my motor today on ebay, they are not easy to find. It should help alot.

vfrf2

Cadet

I managed to pick up a manual on ebay that was distributed by Sears, it covers my motor. I consider myself pretty lucky, because I've looked high and low for one. They are not easy to find. It should help alot.

vfrf2<br />Glad you got a manual it does come in handy.<br /><br />I'm sure your motor is a 1980 vintage because i have the same motor the numbers are the same, it might make a diff. when you need to order parts.<br /><br />I got it running well and it starts within 2-3 pulls when cold and 1-2 pulls when warmed up.<br /><br />It smokes a little when cold like any other two stroke and it sprays rather then streams out of the pee hole and it while its not a speed burner it pushes my 14' alum. w/two adults and full crab gear right along.<br /><br />Fire that sucker up and hit the water<br /><br />Peace Dude