Impeller replacement/dropping lower unit

Phytoplankton

Recruit
I have a sears gamefisher model 217-58587-0 that I recently aquired on E-Bay, it is not pumping water. I removed the two screws that hold the lower unit, but I cannot get the lower unit to drop. Is there something else I need to loosen? I'm hoping the upper splines to the drive shaft aren't rusted into place. BTW does anyone know what year that engine is? Also is that year direct drive, there doesn't seem to be a gear shift?

Re: Impeller replacement/dropping lower unit

Plankton I think you have a 1975 model I have a 1980 model same tecumseh power head. I have read in the service manual and it says there are three types of lower units used on these motors<br />1-non shifting<br />2-full gear shift<br />3-forward/neutral<br />My guess your lower unit is #1<br />As for the impeller replacement I never had to do it yet on my motor just rebuilt the carb but if you go back on some past treads you will hopefully come across some more info

mfbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure what year motor but after checking sears web site I can tell you that it is neutral foward model. From the parts diagram I would say it was built by eska. I looked at a service manual I have for Wards and Clinton motors and it looks the same. Eska but these units other than the powerheads. You will have to pull the powerhead first to romove the clutch before the lower unit will fall. From looking at this manual I would not try this without a manual. Just me.

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a sears 1975 5hp (eska) motor and I just replaced the impeller.There was one bolt and one screw holding the lower unit on. The nut and bolt were in front with the screw being in the rear. The nut was covered by a piece of metal which was just clipped over the nut snaps right off and back on. There is a small slot in the lower unit which allowed me to use a small screwdriver to apply a little bit of pressure to separate the LU. Afterwards the LU just slid out pretty easy. There were 2 bolts which held the water pump housing together once separated just slide the housing up and off the drive shaft. You may want to take some sand paper and smooth out the shaft a bit. Had a little rust on mine. A bit of WD 40 on the shaft also helps. What was the hardest part was removing the retaining pin which held thhe impeller in place. Had to find a small punch to drive this pin out. Hope this helps.

crazycory

Seaman Apprentice

your motor is a 1975 7.5hp made by eska for sears