Need Spark Plug Info For Sears 7 HorsePower

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Need Spark Plug Info For Sears 7 HorsePower

Welcome to Iboats!<br />217-58870 is a 1972 Eska built outboard. Fuel/oil mix is 24:1 (TC or weedwacker/chainsaw oil not outboard oil!), Spark plug is a Champion J13Y. I don't think you can get J13Y anymore so use RJ12YC. Gap is .035" I think.

Wow Thanks For The Info I Was Wondering I Have Been Using Outborad Oil Is My Motor Garbage Now Aslo Where Do I Get TC or weedwacker/chainsaw oil At Thanks.

Aslo I Was Wondering When I Run This Motor At Full Power It Shuts Off In About 5 Seconds If I Dont Slow It Down Right Away I Wass Wondering If This Has Anything To Do With Having The Wrong Size Spark Plug In It Or Having Outborad Oil In It When Im Suppost To Have Chainsaw Oil In It?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Outboard oil (TC-W3) doesn't work well in a high temperature, air cooled engine. It's ment for water cooled engines. If the engine is still running strong I doubt you've harmed it at all. Some TC-W3 oils actually work as air-cooled two stroke oils as well.<br /><br />TC oil is just the designation for two stroke (cycle) oil. The stuff you get at the hardware store or gas station for chainsaws, weedwackers, snow mobiles, or other air cooled 2-stroke engines. It survives the high temperatures but in a water cooled outboard it'll cause deposits and problems over time.<br /><br />Wrong spark plug will certainly cause that kind of problem. I don't think the outboard oil would cause anything like that. Just wear out the engine a little faster. A fuel restriction or weak fuel pump would be my next guess.

Ok i got the oil and i got the new plug took it out today and it still kills on high speeds and its making me mad sometime it will even kill on low speeds i dont know what the problem could be i checked the hoses and stuff there all good i dont know what it could be .

prowlersfish

Cadet

if you have a fuel filter change it as far as the oil used my air cooled game fisher (84 5hp)<br />mannel says use TCW oil(outboard oil) at a 50 to 1 mix in a pinch it says I can use oil for chain saws mowers etc but a 24 to 1 mix but not reccmended. I will stick with outboard motor oil (TCW TCW-II TCW-3 etc) <br />Paul

i dont think it has a fuel fliter i run it from the tank on the motor i dont knwo i checked everything i might just toss it if i cant figure it out

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Try a little choke to see if it will help.If it does it may be a fuel restriction problem.

I mess with the coke for a few seconds to keep it running but other then thatshe shuts down on slow speeds she runs like a top i dont know.