Lauson Sportking

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
So I went to the flea market this morning, and picked up a pair of Lauson Sportking 4 stroke aircooled outboards for $20. From what I could find out, they were made in the 40's, probably 3 hp. They are both fairly complete, they both need sparkplugs. One has a sparkplug but it looks pretty much done. Compression feels good, and there is spark, so I will get them running. The good thing is there are no waterpumps to deal with, just change the oil and go. <br /><br />Anyone ever see or deal with these motors?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Lauson Sportking

Go here, and you'll be able to identify the year from a model number;<br /><br /> http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/ob_lauson.html <br /><br />I can't find a sparkplug type listing for that outboard, however, so check the one that you have.<br /><br />As a start, use a 16:1 mixture of 2-stroke oil with the gas. Since these are air-cooled, go for the oil used in weedwackers and the like. I know the mixture sounds rich, but that's what you need. Lousy bearings on these old timers.

boatmotor4

Recruit

Hi Jason The Lauson motor is a 4 cyle motor.<br />Do not mix any gas in the oil. Has it own crankcase. Regards Tom

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Got the Lauson running yesterday. Had to order a sparkplug from Napa, and cleaned the carb. The mounting gasket sucks, I need to make another one, but the little Lauson runs. BTW, its a 1952, 3 hp 4 stroke air cooled job. It actually runs quite strong, I just need to eliminate the air leak that is forcing me to run it with the choke closed. I'll try to get the other one running too, make a pair of 'em. Here is a pic of one...<br /><br />
lauson.jpg

datsunsrule

Cadet

So I went to the flea market this morning, and picked up a pair of Lauson Sportking 4 stroke aircooled outboards for $20. From what I could find out, they were made in the 40's, probably 3 hp. They are both fairly complete, they both need sparkplugs. One has a sparkplug but it looks pretty much done. Compression feels good, and there is spark, so I will get them running. The good thing is there are no waterpumps to deal with, just change the oil and go. <br /><br />Anyone ever see or deal with these motors?

Do you have any pictures? I also have a couple Lausons that I'm working on. Thanks

Chase

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thread is eleven years old. Think about starting a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.