Steering cable with tilt tube attached?

dorsetjon

Recruit
Hi,<br /><br />I think I know the answer to this but need to run my problem by someone else to check I am not missing something!<br /><br />I am replacing my boat's outboard. Just removed steering cable (Ultraflex M58) from original outboard and noticed that the tilt tube isn't the original supplied with a Mariner. It is a stainless steel tube, longer than the original with a 3 inch spacer between the cable nut and the outboard, but apart from that the setup looks normal. There seems 2 options for this:<br /><br />1)This cable comes with a tilt tube and you use that rather than the motor's original. Different length spacers used for different size outboards.<br /><br />2) My boat's manufacturer (Orkney UK) added this tilt tube, for whatever reason.<br /><br />I assume the answer is option 2 because all the steering cables I have seen screw on to the motor's tilt tube and don't come with a replacement tilt tube. Can anyone confirm this please, i.e. that the cable wouldn't have come with a tilt tube ready fitted? If anyone has seen this before and/or knows why my boat is setup like this I would be really grateful to hear your ideas.<br /><br />To get this setup to work with my new motor I can either reduce the length of the spacer or remove the tube attached to the cable and screw the cable direct to the motor's original tube. However, before doing either of those I want to understand why my boat is setup as it is so I get this setup correct.<br /><br />Thanks for reading all this and thanks in advance for your help.<br /><br />Jonathan.

dorsetjon

Recruit
Re: Steering cable with tilt tube attached?

Having looked at this again in the cold light of day it was obvious that the motor's original tube had been replaced with a new one, which was longer than required. A spacer had been added to make up for the extra length. The tube separated from the steering cable surprisingly easily and I have connected the steering cable to the tube on my new outboard. All working OK.<br /><br />Jonathan