Wards Clinton

thunderjet1

Cadet
7.5 Engine.<br />Starts great Idles great.<br />If I start to open throttle plate it quits immediately. Has spark and fuel. I tried using tiller arm and when cam touches throttle plate it quits. It quits even if I manually open throttle plate. Could it be timing or electrical.<br />thanks

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Wards Clinton

Sounds like a plugged main jet, or a misadjusted one. When you open the throttle butterfly, the engine immediately runs so lean that it dies.<br /><br />I'm not sure what year yours is, but the main jet adjustment is, I believe on the bottom of the float bowl. Try turning the screw counterclockwise one turn and see what that does.<br /><br />If the high speed needle is somewhere else, you can still find it and adjust it.<br /><br />Carb kits are hard to come by for this engine, but you might be able to take your carb to a small engine shop and they might be able to find a kit for you. <br /><br />Just be careful...the minute you say Outboard, they get all frightened inside and freeze up. They don't think they have any outboard parts, but they probably do.

thunderjet1

Cadet

Your exactly corect CATransplant. I took off flywheel, but it just contains some type of pickup coil. So timeing shouldnt be an issue. What I did find is that when the motor is running at idle, I can squirt gas/mixture into carb throat while manually opening the throttle plate and the motor zooms up to speed. I must have a blocked main jet somewhere. I tried to adjust the high speed/main jet with no luck. I will tear apart carb again. Also, is this carb gravity fed or is there some type of fuel pump on it? Thank you for your help

CATransplant

Admiral

I'm not sure. If it has an external fuel tank connector, it has a fuel pump. Normally, on those clintons, it's attached to the carburetor itself. It would be a small rectangular item, with two hoses attached to it.<br /><br />If it's not working, there's your problem, perhaps. Difficult part to find, though, and the small engine shop is the answer again.<br /><br />If it has only a built-in tank, then no fuel pump.

thunderjet1

Cadet

You are correct. It does have an external fuel connection AND a tank built into the motor. I am using built in tank at this time. It also has the rectangular thingy on carb (Fuel Pump). I opened it up and it appears to have a small gasket and diaphram. It doesnt look bad but I am gonna try to find a replacement for it and also check other passages on carb and clean it out again. <br />Again thanks for your help. BTW, this is a 1975 Wards Sea King with 7.5 clinton motor

thunderjet1

Cadet

You are correct. It does have an external fuel connection AND a tank built into the motor. I am using built in tank at this time. It also has the rectangular thingy on carb (Fuel Pump). I opened it up and it appears to have a small gasket and diaphram. It doesnt look bad but I am gonna try to find a replacement for it and also check other passages on carb and clean it out again. <br />Again thanks for your help. BTW, this is a 1975 Wards Sea King with 7.5 clinton motor

CATransplant

Admiral

Best of luck to you. I have a 5hp Clinton from Wards, myself. It runs OK, but is a bear to start.