55hp F/P bearcat -- themostat

horsefly38425

Petty Officer 1st Class
what will happen if i remove the themo. will it hurt my motor or just run cooler/water temp. :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 55hp F/P bearcat -- themostat

I think you would risk running the engine too cool, horsefly. That has led to bad consequences on many modern 4 strokes.<br /><br />If the Tstat is bad, I would replace it.<br /><br />I will move this to Other Outboards troubles. Someone might be able to tell you where to get a new Tstat.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

The original Homelite 55 did not have a T-Stat at all. It was a few years into production before this was thought of. I hear the main benefit is to those who boat in cold water, plus the mod the factory did (I think at the same time- not completely certain) is that they made it so the water jacket stayed filled until manually drained, making sure cooling happened even at start up. Furthermore, there was less exhaust erosion inside the lower unit. Not sure that leaving the stat out would undo the other improvements; unlikely that it would. On the other hand, the factory did decide it wasn't a bad idea to have one in there. Bottom line is it is only my wild guess that it will make little difference short term.<br /><br />That said, personally, I tend to agree with JB & DJ & will keep mine in place even though I reside in warm water country. There are a couple good dealers out here in Ca. for parts Adventure Bearcat Marine & Economy 4 Cycle marine. Both can be found on the web if you need a replacement.

horsefly38425

Petty Officer 1st Class

thank's mine is not bad just want input/info to this if it went out on the water.I run in warm water to TN. starting a motor with water in it is a atvantage /4 stroke more than 'hint no oil in gas /2 stroke more lube in cyl.just went in my L/U to ck imp looks great .homelite55@aol.com has a great site on these babies' The part # i got from him are great /hard to cross out on other parts vendors through /what type oil fliter do you run /the one i got says for use on #2 oil or lighter-not motor oil.BY the way what do have yours on/mine 24ft pontoon

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Horsefly,<br /><br />Mine is about to be attached to my 1964 Silver Line Rambler 15- a virtually 16' runabout.<br /><br />The filter I have is basically a diesel filter- probably as good as we're going to find and probably the same as yours. (If you find an actual oil filter I sure want to hear about it!) But did you realize that that most of the motors made by Fisher-Pierce had absolutely no filter? It was blocked off- the rationale being that "there is no dust on the water". No, there is not a LOT of dust at many northern lakes, though there can be some in the southwest, and there IS crud from the crankcase at least in motors with some hours on them. Who knows what oil was used on these twenty or thirty years ago?<br /><br />Scott's website is the definitive history on those motors and a very valuable resource. His parts handling was at the time I was talking to him a couple years ago a part time deal and his stock was more limited than the two fellas I mentioned before. However, you are right, you certainly don't want to cross anyone off the list! For me geography makes me lean toward out here. Scott is much closer to you.

horsefly38425

Petty Officer 1st Class

i think the filter is o.k / yes mine had the bypass on it , the fliter gives it more oil cap. and that is good i wish they had 4qt cap. more lube is better /ck my latest post in ele.proplems see if you can help /what is your idle speed /mine goes down to 250/200 rpm before it stalls by my dwell/tach meter.have you replaced your lower eng. seal mine my be losing some oil