Confused on steering systems...

Speedwagon

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm a little bit confused on the Teleflex steering systems right now. And since I'm rebuilding the floor of my boat, I figure it's a good time to replace the 18 y/o steering system.<br /><br />I emailed Teleflex, but they weren't much help...<br />
Teleflex tech support response:<br />if your boat has power steering assist you can use our SS141XX kit (XX = cable length in feet)<br />If your boat does not have the power assisted steering our NFB rack system would be the way to go SS151XX.<br />If you don't know your cable length measure the outer jacket of your old cable only. Then add 30 inches and round that total_ UP_ to the foot<br />You can get these systems through your local marine retailer
And their website isn't all that helpful either. I can't find this SS151XX part listed on their website. Only the 141 is listed when viewing the PDF for "The Rack" system.<br /><br />What I want to know is, how does rack vs rotary vary in installation?<br />What is the difference in feel/response between the two?<br />How many turns does each have in it?<br />Which one is normally preferred(installation not considered in this one)?<br />How does this NFB thing work?<br />Which systems will work on my boat(88 Merc 3.0 Alpha one gen1)?<br /><br />So, can anyone give me these answers?

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Confused on steering systems...

Originally posted by Speedwagon:<br /> <br />So, can anyone give me these answers?
How does rack vs rotary vary in installation? The difference is only in the helm, the rotary takes up less room than the rack and pinion.<br /><br />What is the difference in feel/response between the two? Rack and Pinion is generally considered more precise but you’ll be hard pressed to pick the difference.<br /><br />How many turns does each have in it? 3 for rotary 4 for rack and Pinion, but a 4 is also available in rotary to ease the effort required.<br /><br />Which one is normally preferred(installation not considered in this one)? This is really a personal choice, people will tell you that they prefer the better feel of Rack and Pinion but the NFB tends to dull the experience anyway. Rack and Pinion is cheaper.<br /><br /><br />How does this NFB thing work? The helm has a type of clutch installed with releases when you turn the wheel and re-engages again when you stop turning the wheel.<br /><br />Which systems will work on my boat (88 Merc 3.0 Alpha one gen1)? Either. Note, the NFB is not designed to work with power steering systems.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i email serria, and they had a manufacturer rep call me about my questions.

Speedwagon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by paulie0735:<br />
Originally posted by Speedwagon:<br /> <br />So, can anyone give me these answers?
How does rack vs rotary vary in installation? The difference is only in the helm, the rotary takes up less room than the rack and pinion.<br /><br />What is the difference in feel/response between the two? Rack and Pinion is generally considered more precise but you’ll be hard pressed to pick the difference.<br /><br />How many turns does each have in it? 3 for rotary 4 for rack and Pinion, but a 4 is also available in rotary to ease the effort required.<br /><br />Which one is normally preferred(installation not considered in this one)? This is really a personal choice, people will tell you that they prefer the better feel of Rack and Pinion but the NFB tends to dull the experience anyway. Rack and Pinion is cheaper.<br /><br /><br />How does this NFB thing work? The helm has a type of clutch installed with releases when you turn the wheel and re-engages again when you stop turning the wheel.<br /><br />Which systems will work on my boat (88 Merc 3.0 Alpha one gen1)? Either. Note, the NFB is not designed to work with power steering systems.
bigok.gif
Awesome responses there!<br /><br />Also, is this likely to fix my slow speed wobble? As in, I have to CONSTANTLY correct the heading when I'm right around/at idle speed in forward.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Well that depends on whether your steering is worn badly enough to the point that its effecting the way the boat handles at idle speed, but based on what you describe I’ll say, it’s normal! It’s a normal phenomenon that happens to smaller boats. Lots of people will tell you lots of different things, I’ll tell you to live with it. You can practice a technique to actually preempt the directional change and make steering changes accordingly, but I have always found that the boat actually runs a straight course anyway, even if it moves from one side to the other 10’ or so.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The low speed wobble, as you call it, is normal. It is less of a problem with long and relatively narrow displacement vessels with a fixed keel. There is little you can do to eliminate it. You can minimize it by making very small changes at the helm. Often it will correct itself depending on wind, current and waves/wakes from other boats.