boat jumping

vector24

Seaman Apprentice
my 1980 hydrostream vector has a 150hp mercury outboard when about half throttle the boat seems to want to jump up and down like its hitting some big waves but when i punch it it planes out and rides as smooth as it can be but when its planed out the steering is almost impossible if anyone as any idea of ways to make it a little better please let me know it dont really bother be but id like to know oh by the way it has a wale tail on it Thanks

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: boat jumping

Start by taking the whale tail off for sure....they're pretty much junk IMO, and fine-adjust your trim at various speeds to maximize efficiency and minimize the porpoising.

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you are porpoising (bow bouncing up and down) until you get up on the pad. At full speed the boat runs smoothly but because you are running on just a small part of the hull can be hard to control. I hope this isn't out of line for this site, if so I apologize but: Go over to Screamandfly.com- a site for performance boats. Lots of Hydrostream owners who stick huge engines on the back of theirs who can answer your question on proper set-up.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Start by taking the whale tail off for sure....they're pretty much junk IMO
IMHO that may or may not be true. It really depends on the boat motor combo. They work on some hulls, and not on others. I agree with taking it off......and if the performance stays the same, leave it off.<br /><br />I agree with others, it sounds like porposing. I had it happen to me whenever I was trimmed wrong, and in the boat by myself. When others were with me, that same trim setting doesnt porpoise. Where is the weight in you boat?? If almost all is towards the rear than that can be a cause of porposing as well as a motor that isnt trimmed right. Maybe try moving some weight up there and see if it helps.<br /><br />As far as the loss of control issue, a lot of guys on hear love smart tabs or mobster tabs. I have no expirience with them, but a few members know a ton.

studlymandingo

Commander

Smart Tabs for sure! I just put a set on a new to me rig today. Porpoising is completely gone regardless of the trim setting, and it also jumps right on plane. I have an 18' Center Console with a 150HP outboard, the porpoising was pretty rough if I wasn't properly trimmed at half throttle. The attitude has improved tremendously, and it handles much better in turns. It is pretty windy today, so there was a good chop on the bay, I was pushing into the waves and not slamming down onto them. The Smart Tabs made a huge difference in the ride of the boat. Lose the Whale Tail, it only works for planing, it should be out of the water once you are planed out, so it can't really help with the porpoising.

vector24

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks ill take it off and hit the water tommorow and by the way pretty much all the weight is in the rear its a 17ft fiberglass boat with that 150hp mercury on it heck its rough pulling every time i hit a bump it yankes up on the tounge of the truck thanks again

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You shouldn't need a tail on a 17'boat with a 150 unless it is a real tub.<br /><br />On your porposing, the reason they put trim switches on the throttle handle (where your thumb rests) is so that you can easily trim to fit your speed which means you are on the trim all the time if you are changing speed all the time. Price you pay for "high performance". Grin.<br /><br />Mark

vector24

Seaman Apprentice

thanks yall i took it out today and i found out the best trim setting to stop the porposing but of course when i punch it i have to go playing with that trim again but i dont mind its worth it up on plane and in corners

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Did you resolve the steering issue? Sounds like it needed to be trimmed just a hair more. It'll feel like somebody flipped on a power steering switch when it gets in the zone.<br /><br />spots

LubeDude

Admiral

If you boat a lot, and you dont have a calous on your thumb where it touches the trim switch you arnt using your trim like you are suppose to. :p

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Agreed. Proper trim setting changes at EVERY speed. Wear the switch out! That's what it's there for...

vector24

Seaman Apprentice

Yea i got the steering issue resolved i had to just play with the switch to find its best settings for what im doing on the water the only thing i dislike about this boat is the best top speed trim setting is the worst for the steering lol oh well just catch a straight away and trim and punch Thanks yall

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

and move the trailer axle aft - you need more weight on your tongue!