Sears Gamefisher 15hp

Reef Rat

Cadet
I recently purchased a Sears Gamefisher 15hp outboard on a Grumman 14ft alum. boat. The numbers for the outboard are; Model:225581503<br />Ser:10143<br />Any info as to what year the motor is would be appreciated.<br />I started the motor and ran it today in a tub of water with no problems. The motor has a whale tail type attachment on it and I need to know if this is necessary or functional. The important question I have is how do I know if the water pump is functioning as I do not see an observation stream as I have with my 225 Suzuki? Any info or possible problems(things to check)would be greatly appreciated...Thanks,John

ob

Admiral
Re: Sears Gamefisher 15hp

225581503 is a 1990 model engine.That engine doesn't have a tell/tale water indicator.You can feel check the engine block for overheating.Might be a good idea to install a new waterpump and T/stat if used for peace of mind.

Reef Rat

Cadet

Thanks ob. The Sears service center close by doesn't do service on outboards. Is this something I could tackle myself or is it best left to a marine mech.?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

RR,there should be a black box where you would expect to see it pissing.2 screws will take it off and reveal the thermostat.Take it off and have a look.Might be clogged which is common.When running the motor make sure it is in a barrel of water.I usually run it on muffs but notice that sometimes the water pump does not pick up water well that way.Replacing the water pump is never a bad idea.Charlie

Reef Rat

Cadet

Thanks gentlemen, This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've asked a question here and they have all been answered in a timely manner. This is a very cool site :D ...RR

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Make sure to post back your results,thats the other cool part of this forum that many dont bother to do.Charlie

Reef Rat

Cadet

I still haven't checked the pump yet(the weather has not cooperated) but I will this weekend. How difficult is it to change the pump if needed? Also with gas prices rising steadily, I want to leave my small boat at the dock for short commutes and local fishing. Where could I attach zincs to this type of motor and where would I get them. Thanks again...RR

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I would HIGHLY recommend tilting the motor up out of the water when not in use.This will eliminate the need for zincs though there are ones you can add.try sears.com/partsdirect Charlie

one more cast

Captain

OMC's tip of the day: If you leave that 15 hp on the boat on the water you better chain/cable it up or someone will have a free motor.

Reef Rat

Cadet

Thanks guys. The boat is at a dock behind my house in full view and will be bolted on, with a lock thru the hand operated tighteners. If I leave the motor tilted up(which I plan to do)will I need any zincs :confused: ?...RR

Reef Rat

Cadet

One more question. What company made this year motor for Sears?...RR