Sears 3 HP - need identification

PAMeyer

Cadet
Hi, I just purchased a Sears 3 HP (this is printed on the lable on the fuel tank)outboard, model # 217-58540, s/n 104154. It is dark green, air-cooled, with a metal fuel tank attached. I would greatly appreciate someone telling me the age and manufacturer of this motor, and where I might be able to get tune-up parts (I'll check with Sears on Monday). It appears that the propeller is always engaged with the engine - no neutral- is this correct? What oil/fuel ratio should I use? Any other info you have is appreciated.<br />Thanks for your time.<br />Paul

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Sears 3 HP - need identification

Forester166 - <br />That Sears outboard was made by the Eska company. Eska took a Techumseh 2-stroke engine and bolted it onto their own 'leg'. Unfortunately, Eska is no longer with us. But here's a helpful link for parts & manuals:<br /><br />Your model number indicates it's a 1970 3hp 1 cylinder engine, and it has a Tecumseh 642-13 engine. The fuel/oil ratio is 24:1. Since that's an aircooled engine, use chainsaw type two-stroke oil (TC) rather than outboard type two-stroke oil (TC-W3). The spark plug should be a Champion J13Y gapped at .030"<br /><br />A lot of the older, smaller engines had no gearshfit and you simply swiveled the engine 180° to achieve reverse.<br /><br />Hope this helps!<br /><br />EDIT: Looks like the Champion J13Y is no longer around. NGK BP5S or Champion RJ14YC are the crossreferences I got. Note that the Champion plug is slightly hotter.

PAMeyer

Cadet

Hi Paul Moir,<br />Thanks, that helps a lot! Would using TC-W3 harm the engine?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Maybe, but maybe not. Some people report no trouble, while others get siezed engines. There is an actual difference between the two oils though.

marlinman

Recruit

I got the same engine and just picked it up for 30 bucks. Just cleaned out the carb and fuel tank and it runs great. BUT, looking to find a manual or help on the leg. I would really like to get a manual so I can look halfway intelligent when checking the shaft for grease, etc....Does anyone have one for sale or point me in the right direction?

gss036

Commander

I used to own an Sears 3 hp about 1969-70. Use chain saw oil and you won't have any problem, otherwise use Penzoil Preiumn synthetic blend. The only problem I ever had was an idle problem, finally figured out that the 90 degree fitting where it goes into the carb had a little rubber flapper in there and it likes to clog up with junk. Must work like a scupper drain?