Twin 55HP Tohatsu shutting down

mouradc

Cadet
Hi, <br />I have twin 55hp Tohatsu's on a 17ft half cabin Fibreglass hull, I only just purchased the boat, I have taken the boat out twice, and twice both outboards turned off on me while cruising, they both turn off at once, one fuel bulb goes flat while the other remains hard, I open the fuel tank and check for fuel and a couple of other things, then one motor will start and the other won't (it will kick over continously but won't start).<br />If i leave alone for about 10 min engines will start fine and first go. Out of the water both engines start fine. and idle quite well.<br />I emptied the fuel and cleaned it, I found one small sheet of thread tape inside about 7 cms long, and nothing else. I put fresh fuel, but I noticed that when I pump the bulbs, one goes hard and the other remains a little softer, both engines started fine but I haven't been in the water yet to test it. any other ideas?? Am I on the right track, does it sound like it's fuel related??<br /><br />Motors are about 1985 model...the breather on the fuel tank lid is open and the tank has another breather whole that comes out the back of the boat.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Twin 55HP Tohatsu shutting down

If they both go at once it has to be fuel. Are these being run on a built-in tank?

mouradc

Cadet

They both feed from a single stainless steel tank on the back of the boat, it's sitting onboard in the far rear of the boat deck, the tank has a T junction which has two separate fuel lines connected with two primer bulbs.<br />ALso, could be related to a air leak in one of the fuel lines???how do test that??<br /><br />Thanx.

mouradc

Cadet

I noticed that it could be either bulb that collapses, the motor that doesn't start back-up had a soft bulb once and the second time it had a hard bulb(rubber is soft). <br />The revs on both motors drop until they both turn off together (exactly same time). I'm going out again this evening, I'll troubleshoot further and confirm the bulb situation.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I stuffed up Chadi, I answered this thread AND the other one, best we stick to the other one because its in the right forum. Repost when you've done your checking.<br /><br />Aldo

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Duplicate post. Look at Tohatsu Troubles.