Sea King 50 Horse---- What Did I Buy?

I just bought a Sea King 50hp motor at a flea market. The fellow who sold it said he got it at an estate sale and was told it was a 1964. We looked for an I.D. tag and found a place in the lower shroud where a tag may have been but it was missing. The motor is complete with the controls and all electrical wiring. The fuel line coming out of the motor says "OMC Corporation".<br /><br />Is there any way I can I.D. this motor? Are there any identifying numbers somewhere on the motor besides the tag? Was it built by OMC or Chrysler? What would be the fuel/oil mix? Any help would be much appreciated.

one more cast

Captain
Re: Sea King 50 Horse---- What Did I Buy?

Bill, Check for numbers on a freeze plug ( a disk about the size of a coin inserted in the side of the block). There is a good chance your motor was built by OMC. EDIT: Bill, does your motor look like this? seaking built by OMC The motor in the link is 25 hp.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Are you certain it's a 50hp? <br />I see that 40 (2 cylinder) and 60hp (V-4) Sea Kings were made by OMC up to 1963, at which point they started getting them from Chrysler. Chrysler did make a 50hp engine in '64 up until '66.

Yes, it has a big "50" right on the engine cover. It's a two cylinder and not a V-4. I'm thinking it's made by Chrysler. I have a 40 horse West Bend and there are a lot of similarities between it and the Sea King like dual coils mounted on the head, starters look the same and are mounted the same way and carbs look the same. Also, I took the prop off the Sea King and put it on the West Bend and it fit perfectly.<br /><br />What would be the fuel/oil mix for this thing so I can see if it runs?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Well, I guess that would depend...<br />If it's a '64, my sources tell me it's 24:1. '65 and '66 seem to be 50:1.<br />I made a mistake above: if the engine is in fact a '64, it is actually a West Bend engine. It wasn't until 1965 that Chrysler bought up West Bend.<br />Gale never made any engines with externally mounted coils since they were using the universal flywheel ignition system on all their 2 cylinder engines at the time. So you can be sure it's not a Johnny/Rude in disguise.

Thanks to you all for your help. I'm finding this forum to be a great source of info. Thanks again.