9.9HP Gamefisher Motor Starts, but won't go!?

basslerb

Recruit
HELP! I have a 9.9 HP Gamefisher Model 225.581998 or 225.581988, I do not know the year. I was cruising across the lake about half throttle and the prop quit turning, but the motor kept running (Revved up really high). There was no snapping, cracking or grinding sounds before or after. There is no visible sign of damage and the motor will start and run, just not go forward or backwards. I would like to know if this is something I may be able to fix or is it serious and I should take it to a shop?

Bradster941

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 9.9HP Gamefisher Motor Starts, but won't go!?

Does it still pump water? <br />If it does, and the prop won't turn in gear and there is no grinding noise, it might be as simple as the shift linkage retaining clip or screw came loose and fell out. <br />If it doesn't pump water, then pull the lower unit. You may have a broken drive shaft or stripped splines. :eek:

NathanY

Commander

Sounds like a spun prop hub, did you check that?

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

You have basicly a force 9.9/15 hp outboard. They had a problem with the main drive gear becoming loose from the drive clutch in the lower unit because it was brazed to the gear. The part is PROHIBITIVLY expensive. Get a weldor that REALY knows his stuff to fix it or an outboard bone yard. This is the only other possibility other than a spun rubber hub or disengaged linkage, there is no shear pin on this model. By the way, If you feel mechanicly inclined, this motor can easily be converted to a 15 hp with a carb change only....it will spin 1000 rpm more and push you about 5 to 8 mph faster.....

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Actually, I believe that model does use a shear pin and I suspect that's what failed on yours. Easy enough to check. Just remove the prop & take a look. ;) <br />Backlash

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

I stand corrected...it does have a shear pin also.....

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Basslerb<br />I think you just broke a shear pin. With motor off put motor in gear and turn the prop and see if prop shaft turns. If only prop turns then you have a broken shear pin. Remove prop nut and prop and put in a new one put prop and nut back on.

urbanbill

Cadet

Originally posted by FlyBoyMark:<br /> You have basicly a force 9.9/15 hp outboard. They had a problem with the main drive gear becoming loose from the drive clutch in the lower unit because it was brazed to the gear. The part is PROHIBITIVLY expensive. Get a weldor that REALY knows his stuff to fix it or an outboard bone yard. This is the only other possibility other than a spun rubber hub or disengaged linkage, there is no shear pin on this model. By the way, If you feel mechanicly inclined, this motor can easily be converted to a 15 hp with a carb change only....it will spin 1000 rpm more and push you about 5 to 8 mph faster.....

urbanbill

Cadet

any idea where I could obtain the parts?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Mercury dealer may/should have them, depending on the year of the motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Other Outboard Troubles.