5hp Seaking ID

scubasteeeve

Cadet
Here are the model and serial number of this motor. If anyone knows, could you please give me info like correct oil mix and type, parts available and likeness to another motor such as Jonyrude or the like. Thanks everyone a million here on this board, you guys are awesome.<br /><br />Model#GG18736B<br />Serial#16X826875

scubasteeeve

Cadet
Re: 5hp Seaking ID

Oh, and how would I go about changing the oil in the lower unit and what type of oil would I use? Thanks a million.

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like same motor I have, 1963 5HP. I will let the ones with the proper books and more smarts then me address the oil/fuel mixture. As to the lower unit I use CRC Hypoid 90 gear oil. NAPA auto parts has been good with parts. Two screws in the lower unit on the left side, remove both to drain and fill through top. I just fired mine up this weekend (not started for 3 years) 24:1 oil mix. smoked some at first but runs fine.<br />Hope this helps. Good Luck

scubasteeeve

Cadet

Is there a way to tell what the year is and also I need sparkplug type and gap, oil, fuell ratio, and does this motor use a fuell pump or does compress the fuell tank to pump fuel. Also, I was hoping that it was one of those jonyrude alikes so that I could just hop down to my local dealer and get parts.

alcan

Commander

Scuba<br />You have a 1961 model. mix is 24:1, plugs are Champion J6J gaped@.030 ,point gap is .020. This model is the same as Gail model 5D18B. These models would be equipt with a fuel pump. There for need to have a vented tank. When you give the mod and ser#s we can tell exactly what you have and can give the correct info.

scubasteeeve

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Is this motor like any johnson or evenrude motor that I can use as a reference for parts? Also, how is the bottom of the hood removed so that the engine can be acessed. One more thing, the motor has different plugs in it right now. If numerous plugs fit, how do different plugs affect the engine?

alcan

Commander

Your motor would be most simular to the late 50's early 60's 5.5 Johnson. J6J plugs are superceded by J6C. So the correct plug to use now days is J6C Champion. You will have to figure out how to remove the hood and different cosmetic parts. These Gail motors were sold under so many different private brands. Each brand can sometimes have its own mix/match cosmetic package of OMC cowling parts. The short story is I don't know with out seeing it.

scubasteeeve

Cadet

So I took the motor to the lake today after just installing new plugs, not the J6c ones though cause I had not read that reply yet. Anyhow, the motor ran much better than before. It started easily, ideled nicely but at full throttle it didn't seem to be putting out full power and sputtered instead of the smooth sound that it should give. When the motor is in nutral it will rev up nicely but when put under load it does not. Also when at full throttle if I shift my weight forward in the boat, the boat gets up on plane and the motor speeds up and doesn't sputter as much but still isn't giving full power as far as I could tell.<br /><br />I am going to try to figure out how to remove the bottom of the hood so that I can better acess the spark plug holes to do a compression test but it almost seems like I will have to remove the powerhead from the shaft assmebly to remove the bottom part of the hood. Anyhow, I will test the compression but what elese could be causing the high end sputter. <br /><br />One more thing, what would be the best suited manual for this engine. <br /><br />Thanks so far for all the great info.

alcan

Commander

An after market Clymer or Seloc manual for OMC Johnson/Evinrude. This motor would basicly be covered in just about any older generic outboard repair manual. Find a copy at the library.

scubasteeeve

Cadet

Today I gave the seafoam treatment, installed Jc6 plugs, and installed new coils. When I took the flywheel off I found the coils so cracked and eroded that when I unscrewed them and lifted them out the crumbled in my hand. It is a wounder that the engine even ran like it did. I found replacement coils at Napa and from what I could tell they could pretty much get any part for this engine within a few hours. Needless to say, the engine runs much better than it did. Still I am geeting a little hesitation closer to the top end and was wondering if anyone had any info on this problem. <br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Steeeve