sears gamefisher 5hp

hi<br />I just resently got my grandads gamefisher 5hp motor. he doesnt have the manual for it or anything so i don't know the year. Its white plastic, not black like the newer models, and im trying to fix it up for my john boat, but i came across some problems........what is the fuel/oil ratio?.........what type oil do i use?.......and is there anywhere i could find a manual for this engine? the model # is 217585460<br /><br />thanks, matt

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: sears gamefisher 5hp

Gamefisher 217.585460 is a 1980 5hp Eska built engine. The powerhead itself was built by Techumseh, so parts for it may be gotten from a mower repair joint.<br />Since it's an air cooled engine, it takes TC 2 stroke oil rather than TCW. That is to say, the same as chainsaw or weedwacker oil.<br />For that vintage 5hp, the mix should be 50:1. Older 5hp engines required more.<br />Here's a good place for parts and manuals:<br />Brix Enterprise<br />Good luck with it!

thanks a ton paul,<br />the oil that im sopose to use....would 2 stroke yamaha outboard tc-w oil work?<br /><br />thanks, matt

Paul Moir

Admiral

Nope, that's an air cooled engine so use a 2-stroke oil for the purpose. The 'W' in TCW stands for 'water cooled' and may break down at the very high tempuratures your engine will reach.<br />So whatever you do, don't use outboard oil in your outboard. ;)

my dad has a Sears 7.5 H.P. Gamefisher 2 cyc. air cooled outboard model #217.585850 he bought in 1980. His owner’s manual says to use “BIA certified TC-W oil” at 50:1. His motor has a white metal gas tank with the pull starter on top. Why wouldn’t the oil be the same for granddad’s 5 H.P.?