Wards Sea King 5 hp (Mfg. 1960)

Put To Pasture

Recruit
I had the motor thrown in with a boat. I have no gas tank, hoses, etc. The motor does appear to have great compression. Is it worth looking for parts & and any suggestions as to where I may obtain parts and manuals?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wards Sea King 5 hp (Mfg. 1960)

Howdy, PTP.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />I wouldn't bother with it. It was an entry level, air cooled, cheapo when it was new.<br /><br />Sell it on the Thrifties or eBay.

troska

Cadet

There is a slight possibility that JB has it wrong. I have a 1961 Wards Sea King 5 hp, and it was manufactured by Gale corp. It is fairly similar to a Evinrude/Johnson 5.5 of the same era. Mine is watercooled. I used a Seloc manual from the library for the equivalent year Evinrude/Johnson to make some repairs. <br /><br />Mine runs great - keep it.<br /><br />Tim

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Tim is absolutely correct.<br /><br />If your engine is a 2 cylinder, water cooled engine it is probably a Gale-made engine based on the JohnnyRude CD series.<br /><br />That would make it a truly great engine well worth putting some bux into.<br /><br />But if it is a single cylinder air cooled engine don't bother with it.<br /><br />Thanks, Tim. :)