is this sea king engine air-cooled?

chipacarbra

Recruit
I have a supposed, (I'm not sure) 1977 7.5hp sea king (Wards) model # CED 50577A. I just bought it at a yard sale, and it seems too narrow to house a water pump. Is this engine air-cooled? I don't want to start it and test it out until I'm sure, and I don't see any water outtake. I don't know anything about seaking, so any help would be greatly appreciated.<br />Thanks,<br />Chip

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: is this sea king engine air-cooled?

If you pull the engine cowling off you should be able to see the sides of the engine.If it is finned it is most likely air cooled.

Drowned Rat

Captain

chipacarba. If your motor is indeed a 1977 model, post the serial number and I can tell you for sure, it is a Chrysler made motor and it is water cooled. It doesn't have the "pee hole" you may be used to on newer engines. The water is sprayed out the idle relief ports on the back of the lower unit. I would probably drop the lower unit and inspect/replace the impeller before starting the motor. If you don't know when the L/U seals were replaced last, I would do that too. Parts are interchangeable with Chrysler outboards as they are identical for the same model year. Good luck with it and keep posting.

alcan

Commander

Hi Chip<br />All Sea King brand motors made by Chrysler model#s begin with VWB. I also note that my factory/dealer year/model guide does not list a 7.5hp model seaking made by Chrysler in the years 1977 or 78. So either your motor was made by another manufacturer for that year or you have an earlier model. Unfortunately I don't have any info reguarding the model# you provided.

Dick S

Seaman Apprentice

Chip my book shows it to be made by eska 1981 block #<br />640-21 7.5hp. an it has a water pump to cool the leg the motor block is air cooled

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Chip.<br /><br />Air cooled engines need to use chainsaw oil, not outboard oil. <br /><br />Some use a 24:1 mix, others 16:1. Until you can verify the mix, I would use 16:1.<br /><br />Good luck. :)