3hp Sea King

Desert Rat

Cadet
Hello everyone. I have a 1956 3hp Sea King that I think is an OMC product. The needle valve used to seat lightly when turned all the way in, but now it screws in farther than it used to. I think the "seat" for the needle has been rounded out because the needle itself looks fine. The engine used to run good, now it won't run at all. I don't see anyway to service this carb, no way to take it apart. I can take it off the motor of course, but it doesn't look like it comes apart. Does anyone know if this carb is servicable or do I need to buy a whole new one? And if so where would I get one? Thanks a bunch for your help. <br /><br />BTW. This sea king motor is a single cylinder. I think the jonnyrude's of the day had 2 cylinders. Thanks again!

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: 3hp Sea King

i have a sea king 3.5 made by clinton and i took the carb off and took off the bowl and cleaned the innereds, that was the only thing you could take apart... <br /><br />mikey

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

See if you can find a motor model number on the mounting bracket.Hard to believe carb wont come apart.If there is a fitting or adjustment screw on the bottom of the bowl it probably holds it on.

Desert Rat

Cadet

Thanks for the help guys. leaky lou, yes that is the one piece you can take apart. There is a lid over the float bowl held on by 3 screws, and I was able to take this off and clean out the bowl. <br /><br />steelespike. I have the serial #. It is 65X617541. I'm at work today, so I can't get the model # til tommorow. I've had this carb off the motor and I can't find anyway to get inside it. It looks like a cast material with no seams, screws, bolts or anything. Just the float bowl cover I mentioned. I have the manual for a 1956 OMC, but they're just a little different than this Gale version so it's no help. I can't figure this one out. A new carb will probably cost more than the motor is worth. It's a shame too, because this motor's in excellent shape aside from this. Any ideas? Thanks for your help. :)

phatmanmike

Captain

if you sell, lemme know, id use it for parts for mine... as for the carb, yep, thats it, clean out the bowl and float chamber and then put it back on, ive even ran mine without the carb, just kep squirting gas in there. its one strange beast. my grandpa traded a chainsaw for it years ago...