Need 1.5 Elgin info.m/n 301-23080

oddjob

Commander
I have an Elgin also and I believe its a 1.5 hp. m/n 301-23080, the Carb is tillotson,toledo,ohio. <br /><br />Anyone have any info on specs and manual?thanks in advance :)

oddjob

Commander
Re: Need 1.5 Elgin info.m/n 301-23080

Well, I uncovered the varnish over the ratio on the engine.For proper operation mix 3/4 PT. blank-W30 with 1 gallon of gasoline. That would be 21.3:1 . I dont see any weight on the the 2 cycle oils I have. Also 3/4 pint is 6 oz, right? And a gallon is 128 oz, right? Why does the manuf. Ratio chart state 6 oz per gallon = 24:1? 16:1 works out and 16:1 works out but 6oz per 128 oz. comes out to 21.3.<br /><br />Hep me! please.

walleyehed

Admiral

3/4 pint is 12 ozs., and would be 10:1 ratio.... :) <br />5 ozs. /gal would be 24:1

oddjob

Commander

Duh, thanks.. and er..nevermind :rolleyes:

LubeDude

Admiral

So where in the world did you come up with this??? :D <br /><br />Sounds like you are a lot like me in this respect, :eek: sometimes its just fun to see if you can make something run!!<br /><br />With the better outboard oils we have now, I would personnaly have no problem mixing at 24:1 with any outboard oil of your choice if it is water cooled! or any 2 cycle oil if air cooled! The problem with useing a straight 30WT regular oil is that it will separate while in storage!<br /><br />I have no scientific reason for what I am telling you, so this is just an opinion!<br /><br />LubeDude

walleyehed

Admiral

oddjob, did I say something wrong here??? Or did I miss the meaning of "Duh, thanks"??????<br />I never know when to take anyone serious anymore.......... :(

oddjob

Commander

Sorry Walleyehed,<br /><br />No you are correct and I felt stupid having asked in the first place :rolleyes: . I wasnt clear in my silly response. Please forgive me and thanks for your help :) .<br /><br />Hey Walleyehed what 2cycle oil should I use. On the engine it says "[something]-30W. The something part is scratched off. Are they talking 2 cycle or regular motor oil? I ran this motor 15 years ago then rebuilt the carb. and then would maybe run 15 minutes and then fuel would fill the bowl and die. Gave up on it for a long time and now I'm stoked to get it going again as I have many uses for this lightweight engine. So now I'm just trying to limit the guess work this time around. I had a machinist make a new ss needle valve. So if I get the fuel right then I only need to worry about the needle valve setting and maybe the float level/alignment position that I learned from someone on this site.<br /><br />If you or anyone else can further help I would appreciate it.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />ojb

oddjob

Commander

Lubedude, I didnt see your post till after respondin to walleyehed. <br /><br />Actually, It is the first outboard I owned. My father got it somewhere. And gave it to me in 1986. I ran it all over around the St johns river putin like the "African Queen". Goes right through lillys and some hydrala. Besides being a lightweight, stow it away kicker, I plan to use it as a motor for hunting in a 1.5 Motor restricted Wildlife management area in the lower St.Johns River/lakes system.<br /><br />Its air cooled and will push a loaded 14' john boat approx. 10 mph. burns little gas. No reverse and no neutral, just idle down. :) <br /><br />I took this little motor for granted when it ran before. Today, 5 and 6 hp engines are a luxury I cant afford right now but I prefer to have some sort of backup as I would like to venture out of the bay on occasion in the gulf side down here.<br /><br />The boats I own now are too narrow to mount a kicker and I dont want the additional obstruction any how. This motor can be carried by the pinky and will fit under the seat, out of the way.<br /><br />And yes I like old cars, engines and prefer to use them as they are easily maintained and more reliable in my opinion. And I guess I like the added attention :rolleyes: . :D

walleyehed

Admiral

LubeDude is correct on the oil.....it was common place, years ago to use 30W oil, but the oils available today are much better suited to the pre-mix game. Any 2-stroke oil would be better than the 30W, and much easier on the sparkplug(s). Good luck! :)

oddjob

Commander

Well, I pulled on it for about an hour. It will pop 2-3 times now. I started with the upper adjustment 1 turn out and the lower 1 turn out. I have opened the upper adjustment to approx. 1.25-1.75. should I refrain from adjusting the lower valve ( which I believe is the rich/lean mix adjustment)? If any one has system or protocol to advise me of I would greatly appreciate it.<br /><br />Also anyone know what plug gap should use? or just experiment?<br /><br />Thanhs in advance.<br /><br />ojb

LubeDude

Admiral

Do you have a good strong spark???<br /><br />I think you are right about the bottom adjustment being the rich lean adjustment but I think I would start at 1 1/2 turns out!! That seems to be the best starting point for a lot of small motors!! You may have to run a peice of emery paper between the points!<br /><br />LubeDude