OMC 40 vs. 48SPL

songdog

Seaman
Does anyone have knowelge on how these motors compare, for a given year or vintage, in regards to dry weight, part availability, proven performance. I'm re-powering a 16 ft aerocraft aluminum boat at would consider the 48 SPL. What makes them special?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: OMC 40 vs. 48SPL

"Special" sounds cool, huh? It's not so cool, really. That designation was used by OMC to sell old-school outboards in a new world.<br /><br />That said, there's nothing wrong with them.

songdog

Seaman

I was hoping to ad the additional 8 hp without sacrificing weight. So does SPL mean stripped down? It won't look so special when I spray flat tan camo paint over it!!

CATransplant

Admiral

Oh, I don't know. That flat paint might just make it look extra SPL.<br /><br />I don't know the exact deal on the 48 SPL, but what usually happened was that it was a stripped down version, probably of the 50hp from a couple of years before it's model year. Sell it cheap was the OMC strategy for those motors, and get rid of old inventory of powerheads, etc.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ready for this??? The biggest difference is the distance the reed stop is set at. Its set real close on a 40. On a 2 cylinder 60 its set out about the thickness of a #1 drill bit.<br /><br />The easiest thing is to put Boyesen reeds in. Will you see some drastic magical top speed difference? I doubt it.

songdog

Seaman

Help me out, they make the extra 8 HP on the reed stop? <br /><br />I don't know thats why I'm asking. <br /><br />In either event the 40 or the 48 SPL will perform better than my 25 pre-mix of the 1975 era!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There are a few other things involved but the basic deal on that particular motor is they take a higher hp motor and choke it down. Its also rated at a lower rpm too. <br /><br />Youre absolutely right! The 40 is about twice what the old 25 was!