9.9 hp Ted Williams outboard

Rob E

Recruit
I have recently acquired a 1969 Sears/ Ted Williams outboard motor. This unit was manufactured by Tecumseh and is rated at 9.9 hp. I cannot find information on the fuel/oil mix ratio. I ran it once briefly at 50:1 but I do not wish to seize it. If anyone knows this please let me know. Also, if you need numbers, are they located on the engine tag or elsewhere? Thanks.<br /><br />L8R<br />Rob

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 9.9 hp Ted Williams outboard

I have a 7hp Ted Williams motor and the mixture is 32:1 according to the owners manual. This is a one-cylinder air-cooled motor with a water pump in the lower leg which cools the exhaust. The powerhead is a Tecumseh and there is a metal tag on the engine that has the serial numbers on it. The Sears numbers are on the mounting bracket. You can get parts and possibly a manual for your engine by going to partsdirect.com and entering your model numbers or if you want to talk to a person dial 1-800-For-My-Home. If your 9.9hp engine is totally water-cooled you may be able to run the 50:1 mixture, but if it is an air-cooled powerhead, definitely use the 32:1 or even 24:1 or you may burn it up. Best of luck!