Tight steering on 87 challenger ??

malone2

Cadet
The steering arms at motor have been greased reg.but steering is still tight.Theres like a round box that connects to steering wheel.Any way to lubricate this.Didn,t know what would happen if I take this apart.Any help?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Tight steering on 87 challenger ??

Usually, you wont need to mess with that.<br />Disconnect the steering rod ,and take it out of the tube at the motor.<br />See how well the helm turns, and how well the motor can be moved back and forth.<br />The cable is fine, if it moves easily outside of the tube.<br /><br />The motor is fine if it can be turned easily.<br />I would bet that the steering box is ok,as they are a sealed unit, and are not worth attempting a rebuild.<br />The most common cable steering failure point is that tube. It may be well greased, but you'll know if it's ok when you go to remove the rod out of it, if it truely is ok.<br />It is constantly exposed to the elements, and will seize-up faster than you would think.<br />The best way to clean the rust from the tube, is a shotgun bore brush (10-12gauge).

malone2

Cadet
Re: Tight steering on 87 challenger ??

I,ll try that,I was hoping that was a sealed unit.Thanks Great info site!