Sears Sea King 5.5 Questions ???

nakman8

Cadet
I been given this motor and want to try and get it running.Tag on engine reads:643-14A.Second line reads:8514634. Have checked spark and seems to have good compression.Last owner said he had kitted the carb,it does look clean inside the floatbowl.<br />First dump question,is this motor just air cooled, or air and water cooled.Do you have to have it in water to run it? 2nd question,mix tag says to use 30 or 40 weight sae outboard oil,mixed 1/3 pint to a gallon of LEADED gas.Will my Mercury premium outboard 2-cycle oil do the trick?<br />3rd question,will adding "lead substitute" to unleaded gas meet the requirements of the engine?And lastly,where do I set the "lean-rich" control when trying to start engine.<br /><br /> Thanks for any help given,Dennis

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sears Sea King 5.5 Questions ???

nakman8, don't know anything about the Sea King, but put a e-mail out to this fellow and if he is still around, he can tell you everything you need to know about the Sea King motor.<br /> kramer@antigopro.net <br />Hope this helps. :)

JB

Hi, Nakman.<br /><br />Sea King was a Montgomery Ward brand, I believe.<br /><br />If it is air cooled (look for cooling fins on the cylinder and a fan on the flywheel) you should use chainsaw oil, not outboard oil. If it is water cooled, use TCW-3 outboard oil. The TCW stands for Two stroke-Cycle, Water cooled.<br /><br />One Qt. oil per six gallon tank (or 1/3 pt. per gallon) of 87 octane unleaded regular gasoline. Two stroke engines neither need nor like leaded fuel. <br /><br />Good luck. :)

nakman8

Cadet

Thanks for the info,I looked it's air cooled. It specifically says not to use unleaded gas on the oil/gas mix tag. <br />Am I missing something here?

JB

You are reading a label printed when unleaded "white" gas was about 80 octane. They were concerned with octane, not lead.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Your motor most likely has a water cooled<br />Exhaust leg.air cooled Sea Kings are usually built for M/W by Clinton though I couldnt find<br /> your numbers.

SpinnerBait_Nut

nakman8, this is the info on your motor as per a guy that knows all about them, read on.<br />Lloyd Kramer said:<br />
Lester, First of all, this motor must be from the 70's or 80's, because my books on Sea Kings don't have any number like that. When you said, "these are the numbers on the tag, ON THE ENGINE". What that tells me is, you didn't give me the OUTBOARD numbers, they are on the transom clamp unit that attaches to the boat. The ENGINE number simply mean "engine only". To me it sounds like you have a 5hp, or a 7hp, air cooled Eska made Sea King. Eventhough this motor is air cooled, don't let it fool you. It has a small water pump, and it is used to cool the entire hollow housing below the engine block because of the exhaust heat. If you run that baby out of the water you are taking a chance on melting that aluminum wall that houses your drive shaft. Regardless of what any book, or so-called experts tell you about gas mix to use on that engine. Here is the best, and safest way to fly. 10 ounces of 30W NON DETERGENT oil, and one ounce of lead substitute to every gallon of regular unleaded gas. Don't use that Mercury two cycle stuff, it has modern addatives in it. You can get the stuff I mentioned at any auto supply store. Remember, when this motor was made, there was ONLY leaded gas on the market. And detergent based oil is not good for this motor. I know hundreds of people of whom burned up OLD outboards, chainsaws, generators, lawnmowers, and snowmobiles, because they didn't listen to a guy with experience in 2 cycle engines. By the way, that engine on that outboard is a Tecumseh lawnmower engine with a steel sleeve casted into the cylinder wall to make it last longer. Bring the high speed needle out 3/4 of a turn after you seat it down, then you might have to make slight adjustments from there becauuse no two carbs are the same as far as running smooth settings. Don't turn it down tight, or you'll ruin the brass seat. Good luck, LLoyd
Hope this helps. :)

nakman8

Cadet

Thanks for all the info guys. I kind of mislead you all. The motor is a "Ted Williams" 5.5HP.<br />That's what I get for trusting my memory!!<br />Will look on the transom clamp for the actual <br />model numbers. Thanks again

JB

Hi, Nakman.<br /><br />Your Ted Williams does, indeed, use a Tecumseh (Power Products) powerhead, but it is not a lawnmower engine. It is a slightly modified chainsaw engine.<br /><br />Your fuel mix, again, should be 24:1. Chainsaw oil and unleaded gasoline. No lead substitute.<br /><br />I used those engines in Kart racing for several years and am very familiar with their needs and capabilities.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Nakman, this is the last message I got from the guy on these engines.<br />I'm not going to compete on this information with some one else but I have fooled with these little motors all my life and I have never heard of a 5.5hp chainsaw? That "IS" a lawnmower engine. Go ahead, use the 24:1 modern additive and forget the lead substitute, and see what the walls of the cylinder looks like after about 3 hours of running.<br />This is from someone else and not my opinion.

BillP

Captain

Call Tecumseh and they will direct you to a company that bought the outboard division from them. Their customer service is A1 and they sell parts and manuals cheap.

JB

Hi, SBN.<br /><br />I think we need to confirm some facts about Nakman's engine before we start calling names and contradicting one another.<br /><br />I do not believe it is a 70s or 80s Sea King. I believe it is older than that, and we now know it is a Ted Williams. The label calling out leaded gas and non-detergent motor oil suggests 60s to me. Eska made some air cooled outboards using Clinton engines in those days as well as the Power Products.<br /><br />We do have several persons with many years of 2 stroke experience on this board. Your friend doesn't know anything about us or our qualifications. He is out of line in some of his comments.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Well JB, I'm not gona argue about it cause it's not worth it to me.<br />I have great respect for you and your knowledge, but you know, I was not calling anyone names or such.<br />Matter of fact, I don't think anyone called anyone names.<br />I was just passing some info on that I picked up from someone else.<br />Don't even know the guy.<br />I guess I better shut up now and get off this forum.<br />See ya. :)

BillP

Captain

643-14A (stamped on a small alum tag and attached to one of the carb flange bolts)is typical of a Tecumseh(aka ESKA)for block ID. Also typical of Sears Gamefishers. Air cooled head with water cooled exhaust. You may be able to look the engine parts diagram up at www.sears.com by using your 8***x number. <br /><br />I dug the name up of the place that sells parts for Gamefishers. The manual is only $5 and shows exploded diagrams, parts list, operating instructions, etc.. These are great people to deal with. By the way, they are WAY less than Sears for parts (Sears was $11.50 and Certified was $1.75!)<br /><br />Certified Parts<br />111 W. Racine St<br />P.O. Box 8468<br />Janesville, WI 53545<br />phone: 608-752-9441

nakman8

Cadet

I finally looked up the right model number on the transom mount. Here it is:model # 217-59430, serial # 159651. I'm sorry I didn't do this in the first place,would have saved lots of confusion.I think I will read over all info offered in the posts and <br />try to start the engine sometime this week. Thanks again for all the help.