Identify these motors!

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer
Yesterday I was chatting with a fellow on an older Chris-Craft Cavalier cruiser. He says his engines are dual flathead gas 4 bangers (and they sound great). I didn't get a chance to ask the year of the boat.....I would guess 60's or 70's, but it is a preamo glass hull. Anyone know the origin of these motors? Were they originally an auto engine? He didn't know the brand. He cruises very nicely @ 8-10 knots, says he can go 12-13, and gets about 2 mpg @ cruise.

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Identify these motors!

Capn Mike,<br /><br />I had a 1958, 28' Chris Craft that had twin 6 cylinder, flat head Hercules engines. I believe that engine was used in tractors.<br /><br />These engines were extremely heavy. Even the carb was a cast iron "up draft" design. The intake went into one side of the motor with the carb tucked underneath. <br /><br />Regards, Gold Bear

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Im guessing those are A version of the model<br />B engine. Based on the Hercules industrial engine<br /> A simple, rugged, reliable, flat head design that dates back to the 1930s. A friend had a<br />1937 16ft. runabout with a model B motor rated at 60 hp.We skied with it,wasnt real fast but in<br /> the early seventies was OK.

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys. I presume the web site will tell when they stopped producing with that engine. <br />I'm not sure why, but there's something fascinating about flathead engines. Must be the Gatsby in me....