Cooling Problem

nofishjoe

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1968 sears engine(made by McCullough) that is not cooling properly (at all) I have replaced the impellars in the water pump and it is still not working. I have put my hand near the intake and I am not feeling any suction. Is it possible the impellars are in wrong or maybe something is clogged somewhere. if anybody can help me I would appreciate it.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Cooling Problem

Hi,joe. Yes, it is very possable (and likely) that there is an obvstruction in the pickup tube,telltale,thermostat (if so equipped) or in the cooling ports of the motor. Run a coathanger or long piece of #10electrical wire in the tellale.<br />Most times, this is all it takes, but the blockage can be literally anywhere . I've pulled my hair out on a Force once, only to find out after pulling the lower unit off threes times, that a stupid insect (Mudawbber) built a mudawbber-adobe condo in the intake,under the impeller!!!<br />I was hot! I still am every time I think about it, but anyhoo, you probably find it. Try backflushing thru the telltale after you rodded it, to see if you can break-up whatever it is.<br />I hope you get it.Lettuce know how you fare.