Questions about outboard Jet drives??

brian45

Recruit
I am going to purchase an 18ft. seaark center console and was debating whether to put a jet drive or prop based outboard. I am doing a lot of flats fishing in Florida gulf of mexico. There are a ton of oyster bars where I fish and was wondering if a jet drive would be the way to go. <br /><br />I have a 16ft jon boat with a 30 hp merc on it. and trying to run across the flats and not hitting oyster bars and rock is a nightmare on high tides.<br /><br />I was wondering if anyone had any insite on my situation and could anwser a few questions.<br /><br />1. I know there is a power/GPH loss going from a prop to a jet. But what about silt/grass floating on the water? Does jet drives clog a lot?<br /><br />2. Should I put a jet on a tunnel hull or a flat hull??<br /><br />3. I know that you need power to turn a jet but how do they turn with power.<br /><br />4. What is maintnance of a jet compared to a prop?<br /><br />Thanks for your help!!!

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Questions about outboard Jet drives??

I will try to answer as best I can...<br /><br />1...There is an intake grate that gets clogged with weeds and lite weight stuff.<br /><br />2...I would opt for a tunnel hull, but should be no problem with flat hull with 50hp or less.<br /><br />3...?? When you turn the outboard the jet stream of water turns the boat.<br /><br />4...Maintaining a jet pump is simple...grease the shaft bearing every couple of outings(grease fitting on the outside). Sharpen the impeller blades when necessary, depends on how much gravel you run thru it.<br />just some thoughts

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

I would agree with Thought with the exception of item 4. You are contemplating operateting this unit in warm salt water.That means that all that water that the jet is pushing around ,under some pretty good pressure , is working it's magic much more quickly on the bolts that hold that unit to the engine.I would suggest removeing the gearcase on an annual basis if only to reseal the bolt or they will certainly get stuck in the long run.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

One thing I forgot is that you will need to change waterpump at least once a year because you will most likely be pumping sand thru it. That's an easy task tho.just another Thought

sloopy

Commander

THey have a water pump? I though the impellor does that? and why don't they make the drive strait!!! you would lose no hp that way!!!

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

sloopy...the impeller is connected directly to the drive shaft...don't you have anything better to do?...just a Thought

brian45

Recruit

Ok when you say water pump do you mean the pump for the JET itself or the water pump that cools the engine??

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Brian...the outboard jet has a regular waterpump just like the one on a propellered lower unit. It will match what your motor calls for.

sloopy

Commander

I thought it used the propulshon Impellor to do that? I am going to ask my friend if I can reWINTERIZE his motor now from last year!! it did not have an rubber impellor when I checked!