ngk vs. champion plugs???

z-man

Seaman Apprentice
i was just curious of the opinions about running ngk plugs vs. champion plugs.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: ngk vs. champion plugs???

There are ton's of opinions on this. The johnson/eveinrude recommends champions....I bit the bullet this year and put some in. Last season I ran the NGKs and I don't see a differance. (actually I lied...I lost 1.5 mph this year and that was the ONLY modification) I will know better when I decide to play with both sets (swapping them).<br /> <br />I do run NGK's in all my (land) vehicles [car, 2 full size trucks and a motorcycle)<br /><br />Bob

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Heat range is not the only difference between plugs..<br />some older Johnson models had "extras" in the champion plugs.. RF supressors for example.. changing it for a NGK of the same heat range will result in less then optimal performace.<br /><br />In alot of engines I was a huge NGK fan, and if I owned a jap engine, I would love them again.. but I own a Johnson and it runs better on Champions.. (after all, that is what it was designed around..)<br /><br />regards<br /><br />frank

crab bait

Captain

this is just rumor ( old wives tale ) that ngk is a goldish color an is for alum. blocks as for not to readily sieze up .. i don't know , could have some truth to it.

Bubster71

Recruit

I've ran several different plugs in several different cars and trucks, one truck was all high performance and I ran spit fire's in it. I didn't see anything different really. I think it just looks funny to see a Jap. NGK plug in what we think is an American motor, or a Champion plug in a Honda engine. I have a Yamaha 70hp outboard and the guy I bought it from said these Autolites are just as good as NGK and cheaper, gave me his reciept and today I swapped an old set of Autolites for 3 new ones under Advanced Auto Parts 2 year replacement warranty.

Forktail

Ensign

The owner's manual usually specifies brand and size.<br /><br />My favorite plug is a Nippondenso, then NGK. Can't stand Champions no matter what their in. My opinion only. :)

I have a Yamaha that specifies Champion Plugs, although the comparable NGK doesn't foul as easy it seems, I tried the recommended Split Fire and it fouled real quick! (20 minutes!) on another note my '83 35hp Johnson has had the same Champions in it for.......I think about 10 years!!! Maybe I'll put a new set in before I go out again!<br />Bob

I have a Yamaha that specifies Champion Plugs, although the comparable NGK doesn't foul as easy it seems, I tried the recommended Split Fire and it fouled real quick! (20 minutes!) on another note my '83 35hp Johnson has had the same Champions in it for.......I think about 10 years!!! Maybe I'll put a new set in before I go out again!<br />Bob

z-man

Seaman Apprentice

well the reason i asked is because i went to get some plugs today and all that they had to fit my motor were NGK's. i have ran Champion for many years but i was in need for plugs, so i bought the NGK's. ;)

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

In my experience fooling around with 2 cycle engines for over 40 years I found autolite to foul the least and perform the best. Plugs are old technology and not rocket science, go by experience. The Japs make a good plug...but whose design did they copy? Also don't be afraid to experiment with heat range, each application is unique, the O.E.M. recommendations are, just that.

Forktail

Ensign

Yamaha specifying Champions?<br /><br />I have 6 Yamaha's laying around, all different hp and years. They all specify NGK in the owners manual. ??