NEED HELP!!

SUNRUNNER

Cadet
I just bought a 31' Sunrunner that had 2 350's in it that got submerged, and sat for a year, so i know they are junk. I transported the boat to the marina nearest my home in Spring Hill, Florida, and the mechanic and i have been going back and forthe with what to do. he says to spend $9,200 on two new engines, which nearly gave me cardiac arrest, and i have been searching for rebuilts, and used ones. i need some advice. My budget to restore this boat is $9,999.99, according to my accountant, best friend, and wife, and not a penny more. i need 2 350's complete, and believe i need the outdrives also, and also need a generator, a 6.5kw genset goes with that boat i believe. I don't want to put junk or problems into the boat, as i would like to enjoy the water and fishing instead of working on engines when i am out. other than those things, the boat is in good shape, i was hoping that 12 footer would reply to this with some sage advise, or even contacts as to where i can get what i need for my budget, since we're both Floridians. Can anyone help???

SUNRUNNER

Cadet
Re: NEED HELP!!

i just thought i would reply to my own message since there are no others with advise. heeellp!

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

I'll try to be easy on you. I think you are going to find that every time you turn around you will find something else that is screwed up.<br /><br />If it floats, and you have it looking good inside make it a weekend live aboard at the dock and find another boat to run to the fishing grounds in.<br /><br />Unless you are a very experienced mechanic with a lot of free time on your hands, your only choice is all new motor/drives complete with all electrical accesories. <br /><br />At even then every time you turn around you will find something else that is screwed up.<br /><br />Take into consideration that your mechanic may indeed have your best intrests in mind, but also know you just might turn into the guy that funds his new boat one week at a time.<br /><br />Sorry if I was rough on you.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm with yepblaze...kick everything out of the engine compartment until you have just 2 holes left,and start over with 2 NEW engine packages.......if you ever want to use/trust the boat, you will have plenty of other things to worry about, BUT YOU WILL ALWAYS GET HOME........

SUNRUNNER

Cadet

THANKS, ODDD1, <br />I FOUND A GUY THAT CAN, HE SAYS, PUT 2 BRAND NEW 305 VORTECS FROM MERCRUISER, 2 REBUILT ALPHA 1'S ONE WITH COUNTER ROTATION, AND A 4.5KW GEN AND WITH LABOR $12,200. I THINK I WILL PROBABLY GO FOR IT. I GET WARRANTIES ON ALL. WHAT DO ALL OF YOU GUYS THINK? WILL THAT BE ENOUGH HORSEPOWER FOR A 10,000 LB. BOAT, AND WHAT SPEED WILL IT LIKELY CRUISE AT WITH A GOOD SHARP HULL?