1965/90hrs

sixgun2

Cadet
in regards to the last posting i did i also would like to know which spark plug is for my engineis j4j still available or have they gone to another number?it doesnt say who made them i would assume champion? and as far as lower unit gear oil it says use type C know as premium glen gearcase lube in all electric shift models . is this like a ATF fluid or is is a gear lube . can i use castrol synthetic gear oil.? is it the same.<br /><br />again sorry to sound like a air head but these are reall ? i am new to this just dont want to make major mistakes.. <br /><br />keep em in the 10 ring...

D

DJ

Re: 1965/90hrs

Sixgun,<br /><br />Not sure about the plugs. You need to use Premium Blend in the elec. shift engines.

sixgun2

Cadet

thanks djohn , can u get that from napa if not i will go to dealer. thanks again

Trent

Captain

Yes you can get if from NAPA.<br /><br />Marine Mechanics need to have an overall understanding of oil products. Always, <br />refer to engine and or owners manuals for specific information, but you should <br />be aware of the basic, yet significant, differences in the oils and lubricants <br />used today. <br />Two stroke gasoline engine oils are formulated with the following additives: <br />* Detergents to neutralize acids formed during combustion<br />* Dispersants to hold contaminants in suspension and off the metal surfaces of <br />the engine<br />* Anti-wear agents<br />* Rust and corrosion inhibitors<br />* Polymers to reduce exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking. <br />Major performance requirements of two-stroke gasoline engine oils include:<br />* Protection against ring sticking<br />* Protection against exhaust system blockage<br />* Protection against piston and cylinder scuffing<br />* Protection against deposit-induced pre-ignition<br />* Rust prevention<br />* Biodegradability <br />There are two designations that a two-stroke gasoline engine oil may be <br />classified as:<br />* American Petroleum Institute "TC"<br />* National Marine Manufacturers Association "TC-W3" <br />TC-W3 quality oils are preferred by most outboard engines and personal <br />watercraft. Some personal watercraft manufacturers, (Bombardier for example), <br />specify not to use TC-W3 quality oils. <br />TC (low-ash) and TC-W3 (ash-less) oils primary difference is in ash content. Ash <br />content is the non-combustible portion of a lubricating oil. Many of the <br />additives found in fully-formulated lubricating oils contain metallic, <br />non-combustible derivatives, such as barium, calcium and magnesium. Ash-less <br />oils must be formulated without metallic or noncombustible additives. <br />In North America, four-stroke gasoline and two- and four-stroke diesel engine <br />oils are all classified by the American Petroleum Institute. The engine <br />manufacturers will specify the API service category and Society of Automotive <br />Engineers viscosity grade that they prefer based on the ambient operating <br />temperatures and the quality of oil required for the design of the engine. <br />Four-stroke gasoline engine API service categories always begin with the letter <br />S. <br />Diesel engines begin with the letter C. <br />These letters stand for "Service" and "Commercial" sometimes refereed to as... <br />"Spark Ignition" and "Compression Ignition". <br />There are five current API service categories:<br />* API SJ is for four-stroke gasoline engines.<br />* API CF-2 is for two-stroke diesel engines.<br />* API CF, CF-4 and CG4 for four-stroke diesel engines. <br />The requirements of four-stroke gasoline and two- and four-stroke diesel <br />engines, motor oils are formulated with the following additives:<br />* Anti-foaming agents<br />* Oxidation inhibitors<br />* Corrosion inhibitors<br />* Rust inhibitors<br />* Anti-wear and anti-scuff agents<br />* Detergents to neutralize acids formed during combustion<br />* Dispersants to hold contaminants in suspension and off the metal surfaces of <br />the engine<br />* Polymers to improve the ability of the oil performance in cold temperatures <br />and over a wide range of temperatures. <br />There are three API service categories for gear oils:<br />* API GL-1<br />* API GL-4<br />* API GL-5 <br />Most outboard manufacturers recommend API GL5 gear oils for their lower units. <br />API GL-5 gear lubricants are for both mechanical shift units calling for Type B <br />gear oil and electrical shift mechanisms calling for Type C gear oil. (only the <br />viscosity value will be different for each application) <br />Transmission fluid needs to have excellent oxidative stability and anti-foaming <br />characteristics, and must be able to perform over a wide range of temperatures. <br />Dexron(r) III/Mercon(r) formulations meet the requirements of Type A, Dexron(r), <br />Dexron(r) II, Dexron(r) II-E and Mercon(r) ATFs. Current Dexron(r) III/Mercon(r) <br />formulations are also generally suitable as Allison C2, C3 or C4 type fluids. <br />On the other hand,Type F ATF has a different frictional property than Dexron(r) <br />III/Mercon(r). (Note: some transmissions use regular motor oil) <br />Always refer to the manual for exact specifications but as you can see, <br />standards exist to create a uniform atmosphere for compatibility in lubricants. <br />This should make it easier to choose one brand over another. Also note that <br />every "generic brand" lubricant has to comply with the same standards as the <br />"brand name" lubricant to carry a specific classification. (and there are only a <br />hand-full or so of lubricant manufacturers as compared to the numerous "brand <br />names" they manufacture.) <br />There is a case for "product specific" lubricants that are distributed by engine <br />manufactures for their product. These engine manufacturers can specify changes <br />or additions to a specific type of oil that would carry that engine <br />manufacturers "private label". Ask your supplier or rep some cold hard <br />questions. <br /><br />The bottom line is that each oil has to pass the test for it's category, but the <br />question is: "How well, did they pass?" and "What did they put into the oil, so <br />it would pass? " There in lies the difference.....<br /><br />Hope I did not bore you with this.. :(

petryshyn

Commander

Hey! thats putting it in a nutshell!<br /><br />> Up here in Canada, we have GL-6. It was developed by ESSO for extreme pressure applications. If anyone has continual gear box or differential failures due to breaking the oil barrier, give it a go....<br /><br />good luck!!<br /> :)

sixgun2

Cadet

trent this was not boring i copied it to disk for futher reference (old age).lol <br />i thank you for your time.. <br /><br />keep them in the ten ring.....