Thanks All....Now what?

Customline

Cadet
Thanks to all who offered help with my submerged motor. With your advise I was able to get a spark at both plugs. I am seeking more advise. The motor still wont start. Here is a recap...<br /><br />-Evenrude 7.5 Fleetwin (50's?)<br />-Submerged<br />- Removed carb, cleaned, dried and replaced<br />- removed plugs, oiled cyliders, cycled motor with plugs out and carb off to clear out water through the intake manifold when carb was off<br />- cleaned and gapped point, and have spark now.<br /><br />The motor does not seem to want to fire. When I swamped the boat the gas can floated around in the water for a while. Maybe water in the can? I am going to try with a fresh supply of gas. What else can I do? Following the owners manual I put several tablespoons of oil in the cylinders and cycled the motor. I am at a loss. I am pretty good with motors but this thing has got me stumped.<br /><br />Thanks again for taking the time to help!<br /><br />Doug

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Thanks All....Now what?

Doug, you are doing just fine so far. Outboards generally don't take to drowning well at all. If they go under in salt water, they are very hard to bring back to life.<br />You are on-track.<br />REMOVE the fuel line, and get a can of WD40.<br />Start and attempt to run the engine on the csn for a minute or so.<br />No doubt the fuel lines,tank,fuel pump have water in them.<br />If there WAS water left in the lines or pump, you may have to pull the plugs again, clean them,and pull the engine thru some more.<br />Think "drowning cat", and treat accordingly.<br />Watch out for the claws.<br /><br />
sprite10.gif

Customline

Cadet

12footer,<br /><br />Thanks! What is csn? Starting fluid?<br /><br />Dou

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

frusty.gif
<br />Dangol keyboard is dying on me! It's an ancient thing,wieghs a ton,but I'm attached to it....Anyhoo, "CSN"= CAN, and refers to WD40. When it comes to starting fluid, it is the ONLY kind to use on 2 cycle motors.<br />It is flamable enough to prime an engine,and at the same time, it has plenty of lubricating qualities,same as 50:1 mix. This is one of the tricks I learned from this site. I used to use an aresol spray bottle with 50:1 mix in it. Very dangerous stuff. The can of WD40 does the same job better and safer.<br />Never use starting fluid tho (ether-base), as it has no lube in it.

sirlespat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

one of the tricks I try when messing with 2 strokes that spark but dont run is put about a teaspoon of some good premix into each cylinder while checking the spark plugs. Then start pulling the motor over. At some point the fuel air mix gets correct and motor will run for a few seconds.<br /><br />Question: Is it damaging to run an 2 stroke engine out of fuel. I would expect that there would still be oil in the firing mixture after it becomes too lean to fire.<br />REgards