50 Yamaha 2-Stroke start-up

KWolfe

Cadet
Well, for those of you that assisted me in my last problem regarding the primer bulb, it worked out: Untightened the vent and held the bulb vertical and I then had a prime. Now, for an additional question I think I've been overlooking a while but didn't realize until I saw a post on the same topic. Again, I have a 2002 50 hp Yamaha two-stroke. After reading a post on here a couple of days ago, I think that it might be taking a little longer than normal in order to get the motor to fire and hold an idle. Typically, it'll take the motor 3 or 4 cranks of the key to get it to turnover. After it finally turns over, it will idle for maybe five or ten seconds and then die, of which I will restart it until it eventually holds an idle. <br /><br />My start up procedure is as follows:<br /><br />I squeeze the primer bulb until it firms up. Then I pump the throttle in neutral two or three times to give the motor some flow, and turn the key. After the motor cranks and struggles in idle, I'll normally play with the throttle and give it gas slowly to so it doesn't die while trying to idle.<br /><br />So, can someone tell me if that is typical for my motor. On average, when this occurs, my boat will have been sitting cold for about a week. Or, can you tell me if I'm doing something wrong in my start-up, if something may be wrong, etc.<br /><br />Thanks a lot folks.<br /><br />Kevin

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 50 Yamaha 2-Stroke start-up

why pump the throttle? all it does is wear the cable faster and techs like me laugh at the ramp when watching it.<br />all the two stroke 50's of that year were prime start models, do not use the warm up lever.<br /> if it wont start after priming the carbs by just turning the key its broke and needs to be fixed.

KWolfe

Cadet

I say its an '02, it was manufactured in 12/01. The plate information reads: <br /><br />50TLRA<br />6H5 L 450534<br /><br />As for pumping the throttle, when I bought the boat from the dealer, I was told to prime the bulb and pump the throttle prior to starting. Glad I could be of humor to the techs at the ramp every morning.<br /><br />So should I have that looked at?

KWolfe

Cadet

I ask because after it does seemed 'warmed-up', then it idles just fine and will accelerate properly and everything. It just seems as though it is taking an abnormally long time for it to 'warm-up'. As if I had just brought it out after having it put up all winter or something.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

itr may take several minutes to get of of enrichment mode or there may be an issue with the auto-enricment circuits.<br /> but no that engines carbs do not have an accelerator pump and if the engine is not running no amount of throttle pumping will move any fuel.<br /> when I see it at the ramp I stop and try to expain the correct procedure.<br />I will still be laughing though :) .<br /> the model code indicates its an 02 model run.<br />the system is a bit touchy tough and requires periodic maint.

KWolfe

Cadet

Since I got the boat in summer of '02, it has always taken a little effort to get it started, I just want to make sure that I'm not running a motor thats on the blink.<br /><br />On a seperate issue, what would be a good way to clean out a fuel tank/fuel line? Is there some kind of additive that I could get that would not harm the motor or am I just S.O.L?<br /><br />Thanks for all your help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

not much, best to keep them clean. usually by the time any additives work a piston is damaged

randy_252

Seaman Apprentice

K, Sounds like it not getting enough gas in the carbs during startup. Does this motor have an ele. choke? If so use it, and if it starts to die hit the choke again. Also give it a little more gas(Throttle) on start-up. Don't baby it pour the coal to it, then back it off to a smooth idle. Give the motor what it needs.<br /><br />My ole Yamaha is cold natured on start-ups. I have learned to listen to what it needs, and also how to fix its problems. <br /><br />Keep working on it and asking these questions.

KWolfe

Cadet

The motor does not have an electric choke nor a choke at all to my knowledge, at least that I use.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

DO NOT advance the throttle at start up, it will make it even harder to start. that engine is equiped with "prime start" auto-enrichment. it has no ckoke as its all automatic. linkage adjustments and float heights are critical.