Water Cover Apparent Saltwater Leakage

boatmon345

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Post-rebuild of a 1997 Yamaha 150HP Salt Water Series II S150TXRV 2 stroke 6 cylinder powerhead.<br />( Click here to view updated blog with new pictures )<br /><br />Took boat on it's debut fishing trip after the rebuild and it did well (ran about 5 hours). 3 evenings later I pulled the cover to have a look at the engine and, among other things, inspected all gasket edges that were visable. I found some evidence of saltwater leakage at various areas where the water covers mate to the heads. I checked torque, and for the most part, all watercover gaskets remained about 6 FtLbs (book advised to torque 70 inch pounds).<br /><br />Evidence of water leakage is little tiny white mooshy areas along the gasket that have a saly taste (yes I said salty taste).<br /><br />Not sure if I did something wrong in putting these watercovers on, or if the motor is getting too hot and cooking the gaskets. During assembly, Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealant was applied to the watercover as well as mating head surfaces.<br /><br />HELP, please. Thank you very much.

boatmon345

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water Cover Apparent Saltwater Leakage

The slight seepage over numerous areas is continuing.<br /><br />Is it likely that if the mating surfaces were painted with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer that they may cause this seepage condition?<br /><br />Thanks for any insight.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Water Cover Apparent Saltwater Leakage

Take them apart and strip both the head and the plate to bare clean metal. Then reinstall new gaskets with the permatex only on them and retorque to spec.