130 Yamaha overheated

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 1993 yamaha 130 overheated today. I was running at trolling speed for 7 minutes and wide open for one minute when all of a sudden it lost power and shook violently. I notice no water was peeing out. It took me two minutes to idle to shore and then I put it up on the trailer. I pulled the cover and put some droplets of water on each head and it sound like eggs being place in a hot frying pan. It was hot. I pulled the lower and found the keyway was pushed in flush with the driveshaft. It was not catching the impeller. Compression is 125 on all 4. I jammed a tube connected to the hose without the lower on and turned the water on. This was two hours later. Right bank got hot. Did I damage the engine and what should I replace besides a new waterpump. Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 130 Yamaha overheated

those keys cannot push in any farther than they did when it was new, they can wear off but only if its neglected. <br /> now ya get to pay to play, you should have gotten an audible tone. if you did not its time to catch up on alarm system maint.<br /> I would do the t-stat and pressure valve maint as well.its also entirely possible you popped a head gasket.

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rodbolt, I will change the head gasket and tstat and pressure valve maint. Should I replace the water jacket gasket with the exhaust gasket also? Do you think there might be some interanl damage or scoring? Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dont know.<br /> if you take the head off you can look at the cylinders. it may not be nessasary.<br /> if you remove the heads check them for surface flatness.

riverrat90

Recruit

help, i have a cabrea motor and don't know the year someone please help