F40 MSHY routine maintenance.

Tod Osier

Cadet
I am working on taking ownership of the routine maintenance on my F40 MSHY. The motor has 300 hours on it and is run in the salt quite often, but is stored on a trailer. I have the service manual and have worked through all the steps in the maintenance interval chart and feel like I’ve learned quite a bit.<br /><br />In looking at the motor carefully myself, I’ve got some questions (basically, listed in order of things I’m most curious about). I’ve searched the archives, and am surprised I couldn’t find some of these answers.<br /><br />In removing the water pump I noticed a slight amount of emulsified oil (white/foamy stuff) under the oil seal cover on the drive shaft. I drained the lower unit and the fluid does not show any sign of water infiltration. Is a slight amount of oil getting past the oil seals expected?<br /><br />I also wonder about paint chipping on the motor and how common it is and how important it is to keep after. The paint issues I wonder about are of two types. First on the bottom cowling assembly there are some small spots of bubbled paint inside the engine compartment and one on the outside near the latch. Are spots like these normal and should they be dealt with ASAP (primed and painted)? Second, worn spots and spots like the junction of the lower unit where it is removed. Should they be touched up ASAP?<br /><br />How do you know when to replace sacrificial anodes. Mine are very pitted, but probably 95% of the original mass remains. Is there a rule of thumb (I’ve got new ones to install).<br /><br />In dropping the lower unit I found a hose that wasn’t in the service manual (but I did find it in the parts list as nipple and hose), the hose is immediately forward of the shift cam and ends with a plug by the tiller. I would think it would be associated with a remote set up, but I have no idea what it is for.<br /><br />Why are chrome water pump parts available (vs. regular stainless)?<br /><br />Is there a commonly available substitute for Yamaha molybdenum disulfide oil? How about Loctite 572.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Tod