Yamaha tach

alpinestar999

Recruit
Yamaha 02 (01?) 250 ox66 SX250TURZ with digital tach (tach year not known). RPM, tilt bars, hour mode seem to work fine. Temp is single blinking bar never changes - is this right? Also, no bars above oil icon - what should I see? Two buttons "set" and "mode" - no idea what these do other than when mode is pushed hour numbers come on (or off). Any info appreciated. Where is best place to get manuals for engine / guages, and which ones. Thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha tach

check the dip switches on the back for proper setting, they come set for for stroke now, the Z indicates its an 01 model and that tach did not appear till about 04.<br />correct settings on the dip switch is sw1 on,sw2 off,sw3 off. the hour meter cannot be reset but the trip hours can be. any yanaha dealer can obtain the 06 tech guide, the service manual and the owners manuals.

alpinestar999

Recruit

Thanks rodbolt I will look at the sw's. Is the tach backwards compatable to the '01 engine? Should I see different action of the bars for temp and oil?<br /><br />Also, I have a separate temp guage that never moves. A separate PSI guage is down at lower RPMS but moves up when RPMs and speed are up.<br /><br />Just learning about this engine... appreciate all your posts.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the 3.1L motors dont carry much water pressure at idle. the tach is compatible if the dip switches are set correctly.<br /> if the t-stats and pressure control valve is missing or non functional it will cause over cooling and a host of other issues. it could also be a bad sender,sender wire or temp gauge.<br /> if the switches on the tach are not set correctly it does funny things. the switchs configure the visual indicators.

alpinestar999

Recruit

I could not see or feel any obvious switches when looking from under the console so I pulled the bit of dash that has all guages mounted to it. No visible switches on the tach but after pulling a small rubber plug on the back of the tach could barely see into the back and spotted a circuit board. Are the swiches in there (I had a tough angle to see)? Do I need to pull the back off the Tach itself to access the switches?<br /><br />Checked all other guage connections while there, put dash back. Separate temp guage now works ok. I noticed this after running the engine and then shutting down with the key still on - temp swung into the middle of its range - so I feel better I have working temp guage. BUT, I still want to ensure the oil features on the tach work if I can...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

those are the switches, I use a pick to set them.<br /> if you look closely the tiny switches are labeled.

alpinestar999

Recruit

Set switch 3 to off, all visual indicators now seem correct. Thanks. Now I need to test the alarms... Still not exactly sure how the "set" button works... there are two "modes"? Trip and hour? I see hour but not trip - I need to look at this more closely.