Overheating at High RPM's

bayhawk14

Cadet
I have a 1998 Yamaha C115 that will not run over 4K RPM's without the buzzer going off. I can run at 3500 all day with no problems. I've changed the impeller, thermo's, checked poppit valve(replaced spring). I heard it's probably time to pull the heads & clean the corrosion build up. I have a little mechanical skills but worried about trying this myself. How hard is this? Is there a chemical you need to use to clean the salt corrosion, etc.<br />Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm in New Orleans & it is weeks before a mechanic could even look at this thing. They are busy fixing boats that sunk, rigging new boats for people that lost theirs in the storm.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Overheating at High RPM's

Before you pull the engine apart, what is the max rpm your motor will turn normally loaded? I had a similar problem with an OB a couple of years ago. After fixing everything possible on the engine related to cooling, much of which did in fact need servicing, the engine still overheated at high rpm. Then I bought a tachometer and found that the engine was not reaching its rated rpm. If your engine is lugging because of a too large prop or other conditions that prevent it from revving to its proper rpm it will overheat.

bayhawk14

Cadet

jimd, thanks for the response. Indeed, my prop is too big. I'm running a 21 pitch & should be at 19. I have a 19 on order right now. I just bought this motor last year & ran it 5 or 6 times with the larger prop with no problems. Wide open throttle I was at 5K RPM's where I should be around 5400 to 5600. The 19 should take of that. Thanks for the advice, before I take it apart I am going to wait for the new prop to come in than give it a run. Hopefully I don't blow anything!

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Normally pulling the heads and cleaning is not difficult. I always draw up on salt water exposed motors due to corrosion and the chance of breaking a bolt. Having a service manual would help and a torque wrench is a necessity. A good scraper will do most of the corrosion removal.