Solonoid Won't Click- Wire Harness Problem ??

Muskab

Cadet
Just mounted a 2001 Yamaha 115f motor on boat. Purchased new wire harness, and key switch with it. Motor wont turn over, not even a click. <br /> Theres a Extra 6 pin plug on my switch side of the wire harness, 3 are tilt trim (red, green blue), the other I dont know what?? the colors that i dont know are Brown, Light Brown (tan) and Black. I can place the Black at ground but the other 2 I have no idea. Im thinking they need to be jumped or hooked to something to make the thing start. PLEASE HELP IM DESPERATE! ! Want to take it to the lake this weekend and my repair guide wont be in till next week.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Solonoid Won't Click- Wire Harness Problem ??

sounds like you have a binnicle control like the 704 or should have.<br /> the motor does not have start in gear protection and the USCG requires it.<br /> so the key switch assy for the binnacle mount controls have the red,power to the trim switch, blue,power to the up side of the engine trim relay,light green power to the down side of the trim relay and the brom leads,<br /> the brown leads go to the nuetral safty switch.<br /> if the nuetral switch fails you can hook the two brown leads together and it will start.<br /> what control box do you have?

Muskab

Cadet

I have a Non OEM Teleflex 1700 throttle on the boat.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

so what are ya using for the nuetral starter saftyu swicth to insure the engine cannot be started in an in gear position ?

Kanadakid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Musk /Rod,<br /><br />Also check the engine fuses 20A & 30A as if one is blown you won't get anything either. Just a thought as that recently happened to me.<br /><br />Kid

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

kanadakid, the telling tale in this story is the unused 6pin connector from the keyswitch. as its unused it also means there is no closed circuit on the brown solinoid activation circuit, no closed switch means an open circuit.<br /> however I cannot tell someone to jumper the two brown wires as it would create a potentally unsafe setup. the USCG and the BIA and NYBC all say it must have start in gear protection either at the keyswitch,control box or engine. that 6 pin harness from the keyswitch goes to the control box to utilize the neutral start switch incorperated in the control box and to provide circuits for the trim switch.

Muskab

Cadet

AHH thanks. problem solved.. Turns out the light brown wire and the dark brown wire have to hook to the throttle(Neutral safety wires). I temporary jumped them and it started right up. Now if I can just figure out which one is the TACH wire i'll be in good shape

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yellow is key on 12V,black is ground,dark green from the switch is tach send,red is 12V anytime the battery switch is on, blue is for tach lights and can be connected to the yellow.<br /> set the tach for 12 pole or 6 pulse.