How to use main and kicker off one gas tank

69GlassparMan

Seaman Apprentice
This sounds simple However I do not see any hardware for sale anywhere to make it happen.<br />I have one built in gas tank. It is hooked to my bulb and then my main motor. Is it possible to spit it to my kicker as well. Instead of using a different gas tank for kicker?<br />Thank you

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: How to use main and kicker off one gas tank

If you have rubber lines, just cut in two and put a "T" fitting in with simple hose clamps. Schucks/Napa/AZ should have one in the right size, or try Home Depot......

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You should put a petcock on each line, or get a multi position petcock to isolate the motor that is not being used. This is to keep the operating motor from sucking the gas out of the other line, and then sucking air. I can't find one here on iboats, but they look like this:<br /> valve

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Keep in mind that one of the great features about having a kicker is the added safety of having an emergency spare to get you back home if your main engine fails. Having them both tied to one fuel source has advantages, but if you experiences problems related to fuel supply (water, bad gas, etc..) it will mean both motors fail. It is always best to have a small reserve supply of fuel, specifically for the kicker.

CATransplant

Admiral

AMD Rules has good advice for you. Having a separate fuel tank for the kicker can save the day.<br /><br />However, it's important not to let the fuel go stale in the kicker tank, or you won't get the benefit of the kicker when you need it. Use Stabil or something in that tank, and then dump it in the main tank once a month and replace the old fuel with fresh.<br /><br />Finally...fire up that kicker! I highly recommend starting the kicker at the dock each time you launch, or at the slip before each trip on the water. Let it warm up with the big engine, then you can shut it down.<br /><br />I've seen dead kickers a lot of times out on the water...just when they were needed.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Hi guys,<br /><br /> I have a kicker conected to my water filter along with my big motor,works just fine. J,C, :rolleyes: ;)

dmonwai

Seaman

Do you pre-mix the gas for your main motor or is it oil injected?<br /><br />If you pre-mix the gas then you should have no problem running off your built in tank.<br /><br />If your main is oil injected then you will probably have to use a 2nd gas tank for the kicker. I'm pretty sure that kicker you have needs pre-mixed gas.<br /><br />I run a tee fitting off my gas tank and 2 primer bulbs, 1 for the main and 1 for the kicker.