New Yamaha 96 50hp 4 stroke owner - Q's...

Craig Killip

Cadet
Hi Guys! <br />In a good mood as I am the proud owner of a new toy! :) <br />The motor on the back is a Yammy 50hp 4stroker (1996).<br />Inevitably I have a few questions already....<br /><br />I'd like to do an oil change, so which oil should I put in? Does it depend on operating conditions? Normal air temp for use is probably 10 degs with a sea temp of similar. However in summer air temp reaches 30 degs - but that's occasional!<br /><br />Next Q. My trim indicator is stuck at one reading (3/4). The sender unit goes up and down ok.....any thoughts?<br /><br />Next Q - probably not a reality, but I have just done a quick search of the forum and saw something about connecting hour counters. If I got an hour counter would it tell me the hours the motor has already done?<br /><br />Final Q. I need to do the impeller and g/box oil. Any special instructions - do I just use the standard Quicksilver outboard g/box stuff?<br /><br />Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give!<br /><br />Can't wait for sea trials some time this week! :) She seems to run Sweeet!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Yamaha 96 50hp 4 stroke owner - Q's...

use the FSW 4 stroke yanny oil at 10w-30 and ya cant go wrong, the merc HP gear lube is good stuff.<br />keep a good water pump and thermostats in it.<br /> the trim send lever sometimes moves on the shaft if the shaft is stuck.<br /> what type of trim meter do you have ?

Craig Killip

Cadet

Thanks Rodbolt! <br />The trim gauge is an independent one. I then have a tacho without an hour counter - just heat and oil pressure light.<br />10w-30....cool, under the cowling it also lists 10w40 (I think it is) is that for hotter conditions?<br /><br />Not quite sure what you mean on the shaft stuck thing - its a little black lever on the port side that goes up and down??<br /><br />Thanks for the help!<br /><br />Any thoughts on the hour counter?<br /><br />How often do the valve clearances need checking? I guess you have to take the rear cover thing off? Judging by the paint it's never been off before......<br /><br />Thanks again!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

are all the gauges yamaha?<br />if so the trim sender will have 3 wires, a blk,pink and orange.<br /> the resistance specs between the orange and black and pink to blk are in the manual.<br /> the orange is a 5v reference and the pink is a pick off voltage from the resistor.<br /> as far as the valve lash I cant remember if that model has to have the cam sproket removed or not to remove the cam cover.<br /> but there again its in your service manual.<br /> if you dont have one stop and do nothing till you get one.<br />the service intravel on adjustments is about 400 hours or 2 years.<br /> check your operators manual as well.

Craig Killip

Cadet

Thanks very much - your a legend!<br /><br />I'm sure I'll be back with some problems in the near future! Thanks for the help!