1987 Suzuki 200 surging

mstritt

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1987 DT200 200hp anniverary edition. On one of the first occassions I went out, and the last time I went out, the engine really surged above 3,000rpm. It was bouncing on the back bad enough that I had to throttle back. Below 3,000rpm it ran fine. It did this once the very beginning of the year for about 15 minutes then ran fine the rest of the year until the last time I went out when it did it again. It only does it under load. Just wondering if anyone might have any suggestions.<br />Thanks

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: 1987 Suzuki 200 surging

I have a DT115, and it did the same sometimes, I found that the waterpump casing was cracked and I replaced it, and it ran perfectly after that, also sometimes if your oil level is low it would do the same, and then if you tilt the engine too much when driving, it will do the same, I think that suzuki put too many sensors and things in their engines, which is probably a good thing if you look at what real damage you can pick up if there is a big problem, but i know it gets very frustrating. good luck

mstritt

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response-I'll try taking a look at that. Somebody told me it might also be water in the fuel. Strange thing is that it did it the beginning of the year and then stopped for the rest of the year without me doing anything until the last time out

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have a under floor gas tank look for a check valve at the output.The anti-siphon consist of a spring and bearing that will catch debris .If the gas line is old ,you may want to change it out anyway pump bulb and all.low pressure fuel pump is next to consider.