YAMAHA 55EL. two or one carburettor??

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Acording to Yamaha brocures, the yamaha 55 e (enduro series 2005 brocure) run one single carbutettor, I have a YAMAHA 55 el of about 1988 vintage fitted with 2 carburettors instead of one, the carburettor manifold is absolutely YAMAHA equipment.I doubt if this was a retro fit, could this be a standard feature available during the MARINER/YAMAHA eara, when YAMAHA MADE MOTORS WERE BRANDED AS MARINER,or visa versa I would really like more information on the Mariner Yamaha "partnership" who made for who? my fishing friend has a MARINER 55 which looks exactly the same as mine including two carburettors, but has a MARINER tag on the motor,giving engine number, model etc, but there is no other physical differences,confusing is it not, Kind Regards William Wright

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: YAMAHA 55EL. two or one carburettor??

The 80s Mariners below 60Hp were 100% Yamaha. The Enduro is a no-frills model. It's quite possible that it's mainstream brothers had two carbs rather than the Enduro's one.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the 88 EL should have two carbs and the CDI mounted low on the aft stbd side.a pic would help as would the full model number.

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good morning Rodbolt you are absolutely right I went to the boat, removed the engine cover and had a good look, it is how you say, this little honey purrrrs like a kitten on katnip, and is the most economical outboard motor I have ever owned,and the most reliable, thank you for the reply,kind regards William Wright,