Ray, Rodbolt - need tilt trim refill help

gr8rg8r

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just replaced the tilt piston of one of my 1997 Yamaha 200 SWS II. I replaced the other about 4 months ago.<br /><br />After removing and replacing the piston, the motor has lost prime. Currently, all three (2 trim and 1 tilt) pistons are down. When I try to raise or lower the pistons, the motor makes noise and does not build up pressure, so there is no air to bleed off.<br /><br />Currently, the tilt piston is not connected to the engine and the engine is up. Should I connect the tilt piston and manually raise it? Will this allow the pistons to expand and accept more fluid? Is there a safe way to remove the motor and pour fluid directly into the system?<br /><br />The other piston gave me fits and was difficult to purge also, but the air eventually worked its way out.<br /><br />Thanks

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ray, Rodbolt - need tilt trim refill help

You will need to extend the piston to fill the pump. I use an old oil can that was used by train service people that has a long flexible spout and pump to fill the pump. I also drop the tongue on the ground to try to get the angle of the unit as close to the ground as possible. Once it is filled, then cycle it all of the way through several times until the air is bled off. My drive is steep enough that this can work even with a tandem trailer. If this is not practical in your case then removing the engine may be the only parctical way to do so.