1990 200 yamaha tiler/steering arm replacement

wnelson1968

Recruit
These engines run to well to scrap because of a rusted part but I understand that this is a large project. The engines were in salt water for nine years and fresh water for the last 5 or so. I can see tool marks on the external hardware so I believe they have been removed at least once. This is the only and worst part of rust damage on the assembly. However, one can not recognize nut nor bolt at the base of this arm. My primary consern is busting a bolt that holds the powerhead on. Any help would been great! <br />Also, I need a line a spanner wrench or idea to remove the caps on the tilt and trim. <br />Thanks you<br />Wynn

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1990 200 yamaha tiler/steering arm replacement

This is a major project with salt watered motors. This has been discussed in a number of posts. Search for posts on replacing the shift shaft for more detailed info. Many times if the powerhead was removed before the bolts were coated with corrosion guard before replacing and will come off fairly easily. You are not likely to be able to break them. Very hard to be able to get that much pressure on them to do so with hand tools. You might try one and see how major this project will turn out to be. Even if you broke one, the motor would still be usable. GOOD LUCK.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

your gonna get jacked.<br /> nothing will come apart.<br />however if ya wish to tacle it ill explain it to you.

wnelson1968

Recruit

rodbolt: please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if the powerhead bolts come out and if the upper and lower mounts come off its not a hard operation.<br /> while your pricing parts price a complete used midsection from a salvage type yard.<br /> if the powerhead comes off the rest is fairly easy.

wnelson1968

Recruit

Thank you for the info. I will have it out of storage in a couple weeks. Do you have a line a a tool to remove the cylinder caps on the tilt and trim rams?<br /><br />Wynn

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

snap on makes a universal spanner but the best tool is the set from yamaha, any dealer can order it for you.<br />I cant remember the part number but its a two tool set one for the tilt cap and one for the trim caps.