2002, F40TLRA Trim and Tilt unit

Gerald K4NHN

Seaman Apprentice
When I was cleaning around the mounting area on my F40, I noticed that the power trim unit was loose on the right side at the bottom of it. I'm looking at page 7-21 of my service manual. There is a shaft #7 that goes through the piston unit at the bottom and bushing #6 on the left, looking at the motor from the rear... <br /><br />The picture doesn't show a bushing on the right side of the shaft where it goes through the post clamp bracket. But at the bottom of the page where the steps are numbered, it shows a quanty of 2 bushing. I don't have a bushing on the right side and the shaft is loose in the port clamp bracket there. Is there suppose to be a bushing on the right side? <br /><br />The way the bushing is made on the left side it doesn't look like they would come out on their own. Maybe it was just left out in the manufactering. I only have 164 hours on the motor and have had it since new..<br /><br />I don't think I can post pictures on this group, can I?<br /><br />Gerald K4NHN<br />Cayce, SC

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2002, F40TLRA Trim and Tilt unit

yes there should be a bushing in each side bracket and one in the tilt unit. look at the yamaha website on the parts breakdown.

Gerald K4NHN

Seaman Apprentice

Hi rodbolt<br />Yep, I see that's a better picture than in the book. I'll check with my dealer, and good friend, and see if he wants to take care of it. I don't know if that's covered under the 5 year warranty or not, but they don't cost much... It looks like they can be put in without much haveing to be taken apart either.<br /><br />Gerald K4NHN<br />Cayce, SC

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

call your dealer and discuss it with him, he may wish to look for any other damaged a bad/missing busing could have caused. yamaha is excellent at working with customers, they just kicked in 5 hours labor on a 93 C55 I was working on.<br />this motor had been out of warrenty for 10 years and the defective new part was customer installed, just took me a while to find the component :) .

Privateer

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Rodbolt, you caught my attention with the talk about the C55. Good to know that I’m not the only one with that oddity. Well, at least it’s kinda odd around these parts. Gonna start a new thread with some questions.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its odd here to, and now I know way more about the ign system than I ever wanted to.

bcopelan

Cadet

Do you have a link for that website? Also, is there one for Suzuki?