Suzuki DT85 will not start unaided!

dwb8466

Cadet
Suzuki DT85 (1987)will not start unless spark plugs are removed and petrol is poured into the pots.<br />Once this has been done it is fine, unless it is left to stand for a day or so, then you have to remove the plugs and start again. <br /><br />Could this be the reeds sticking?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Suzuki DT85 will not start unaided!

sounds like the choke is dissconected or not working. <br /> have you insured the choke plates are fully closing while the engine is cranking ?

dorkhead

Seaman

Rodbolt knows That is what was the problem with my 115 Yam . The plates were not closing enough. Local mechanic worked on them and now Rodbolt it starts like a car motor. I love it.Boatwad

dwb8466

Cadet

Rodbolt, we have tried the choke and it seems to be working fine. ?!?!?!?!

duffe

Recruit

Try to clean the carburators!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

seem and are. two very different words. what steps have you taken to verify the choke?<br />dirty carbs would NOT allow it to run fine and as long as there is fuel in the bowl and the choke shutters close it will start but not run if the jets in the carb were plugged.<br /> now lets put on the old thinking cap a second.<br /> the motor is an airpump, it draws air and fuel into the cyl,compresses it, explodes it then expels it. you say once running it runs fine, ill assume your correct as your version of fine and mine may be different.<br /> ok whats the difference in that motor idling fine after you add fuel to the cyl in a plug hole and not starting?<br /> its the air fuel mix ratio for cold engine operation.<br /> so first I would remove the airbox cover and observe the shutters for proper closing, not mostly closing but all the way closing. then crank the engine and make sure they can stay closed, occasionally a poor cable connection or bad starter will draw so much current the choke solinoid cannot stay engaged.<br /> reeds are mechanical, pistons and rings are mechanical, you cannot have bad compression or broken reeds and a satifactory idle in gear at about 700 RPM. aint gonna happen.<br /> so by your symptoms and description and a logical thought train it keeps leading me back to the choke.<br />if it was loss of spark adding fuel would make no difference, it it was clogged carbs or lack of fuel as soon as the gas you poured in was gone it would die. if it was a bad reed your idle will be nasty or non existant.<br /> double check the choke like I described if all your descriptions are truthful.

dwb8466

Cadet

Thanks for spending the time helping, i really apreciate the sharing of knowlage.<br /><br />I will look at the carbs again. It just that once fuel is added to the pot, it fires first time and ticksover well with no coughing or spluttering.<br />it will start normally from then on, unless it is left for more than a couple of days. This is why i suspected something sticking. Prior to me getting the engine it had been stood for 5 years. we stripped the carbs and cleaned them through. i will check the choke with more of an idea at the weekend . thanks D.

dwb8466

Cadet

Is there anything that can stick to stop fuel gettin through to the pots??<br /><br />Engine will start when fuel is added to the pots. it will turn on and off after inital aided start, with no help. But leave it for three days plus.... you have to help it again...?!?!?!

dwb8466

Cadet

Is there anything that can stick to stop fuel gettin through to the pots??<br /><br />Engine will start when fuel is added to the pots. it will turn on and off after inital aided start, with no help. But leave it for three days plus.... you have to help it again...?!?!?!

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />There is also a fuelpump with a rubber diaphgram set that may be part of this problem. It will not hurt to get a new rubber diaphgram set (it is cheap and easy to change).<br />Also make sure you use correct type of spark plugs (NGK B8HS) and correct gap (0.31-0.35 inch, 0.8-0.9 mm).<br />Make sure all fuel lines and connections including the bulb are not defect. Fuel tank vent open (also it might be good to try another known working external fuel tank and fuel lines+bulb with fresh gas).<br /><br />Good source for Suzuki online spare parts is brownspoint.com<br /><br />Good luck.