Connecting rod bolts -tools ?

prolineguy

Cadet
First, I would like to thank everyone for this great forum-it helped me solve a lot of problems and save some big bucks on repairs! Keep up the great work guys!.<br />Now my latest challenge- pulled apart my 1991 ProV 200 Yamaha powerhead down to the crankcase preparing the block for a trip to the machine shop. After a few trips to Sears and various Auto Parts stores,I cannot find any sockets that will fit the connecting rod bolts. I tried torx and star sockets but none will fit. The bolts have 12 points and appears to be approx 8-9mm. Anybody know where to find these sockets?? Or what type will fit the tight space?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Connecting rod bolts -tools ?

its a 5/16ths or 8mm 12 point. snap on sells them in 3/8 and 1/4 drive as does sears.<br /> in a pinch I have been known to use 1/4 drive with a 3/8ths drive adapter but its pushing the tools limits :) .

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Connecting rod bolts -tools ?

Snap on or Cornwell are the best sources for the 8 mm 12 point sockets. They have to be thin enough to get a good purchase on the bolt. You do not want to round the head on the bolt or you have serious problems getting it apart. Many of the Craftman socket s are too thick to clear the rod cap. If you thin them they have a tendcy to crack and round the head. I prefer the 3/8 ones due to the amount of torque it takes to loosen them.