DT 15 Question

flatscat411

Recruit
I fell really stupid. I bought a DT 15 mid 80's vintage and the lower unit does not have a water intake like I am familiar with. I have looked the lower unit over and be darned if I can find where the water pump picks up water from. Any ideas? -JW

flatscat411

Recruit
Re: DT 15 Question

Really, no one knows or can help me out. I am used to looking at the row of vertical holes just below the cavitation plate for the water intake. The suzuk doesn't have these. it does have one small hole on the front of the nose cone which I wouldn't think would flow enough water to cool the motor. It pee's very well and I am curious. Sure hope you guys could help me out a little

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I'm not familar with the DT15 but it makes sense it would be below the antivent plate.It surely would have some sort of screen or protection from<br />weeds etc.Pull the prop and look around.You might try quickly tipping the motor up and watch where the water runs out.If it has an exhaust snout it might be on the leading edge.

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />Go to brownspoint.com and Parts Look-Up, select DT15 and year.<br />In gear case picture you can see a water filter under the anticavitation plate. That could be the water intake. If You check the picture of the water pump you can see the water pipe bends backwards and seems to go about where the water intake filter is located.<br /><br />/Bo

flatscat411

Recruit

very confusing it shows a flush hose attachment #29 would that be for water or for flushing the lower unit? It does look like the intake is above the prop on the bottom of the anticavitation plate. Very strange. If this is so it doesn't look like this motor is going to be too friendly to a jackplate. Maybe I can find a newer style lower unit and swap it out. I really like the motor but I am going to have to be able to run a jackplate

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />#29 should be for flushing the inside cooling system or testing the outboard on land with a garden house, probably while the outboard is running. Since there is no side water intakes you can not use rubber muffs and run the outboard with freshwater that way (when testing or using freshwater to wash out the cooling system, from saltwater for example). I have a Yamaha F115 4-stroke but the house attachment on that outboard can only be used when outboard is not running (so rubber muffs is used when flushing or test running when outboard is RUNNING).<br />So it is different for various outboards if it can be running while a special flush attachment is used. On my F115 I use rubber muffs on side water intakes if I want to run it on land but since on your DT15 you have no side water intakes you must use the flushing attachment if you want to run it on land.<br /><br />Your DT15 for sure has the water intake from underside of anticavitation plate so I would not try to run the outboard with anticavitation plate to high since it will get problem to suck water into the water intake. To run dry on water will ruin first the waterpump and then later owerheat the outboard.<br />I do not think DT15 would be my first choice if I need to run an outboard raised as high as possible. Get an outboard with side water intakes instead for that.<br /><br />Water intake on the DT15 would be like this:<br /><br />
DT15_GearCase.gif
<br /><br />
DT15_WaterPump.gif